Friday, January 14, 2011

Comparing Notes From Last Year


I can't tell you how much I love to read my blog books. I recently got last year's printed and I get such a kick out of rewinding and reliving the past year of my life. It really is fascinating to see my normal patterns of stress and chaos repeating over and over. For instance, last year I made it through most of the winter without much shoulder pain, but then Spring rolled around and no sooner did I book a vacation, but I started to complain about my shoulder hurting. I even made a comment about 'just the thought of vacation stresses me out.' What is wrong with that picture? Last night I read about the days preceding our bike trip to Europe and by the sounds of it, I was in agony . . . and all to go on vacation. Unreal.

So here we are this brand new year. The year of simplicity and doing less. I am so very proud of the fact that I made it through the Christmas madness with no shoulder and neck pain. Sure I had a couple IBS attacks, but I have figured out that IBS strikes based on emotional stress. My shoulder strikes from subconscious stress. I managed my business, hosted Christmas dinner, and handled all the other holiday tasks with amazing ease. But suddenly I'm feeling the start of my shoulder tightening up again. What is going on? Sure I had to teach my first yoga class of the season this week (always terrifying), and there was a little bit of stressful driving on slippery roads. Could that have done me in? Or maybe it's the fact that I booked one vacation within the past couple of weeks and yesterday I spent an hour researching another. I literally logged off of the travel website yesterday afternoon, got in the car to go home, and realized my shoulder was starting to ache. Why am I so adverse to vacations?

1 comment:

michelled said...

It's amazing what stress does. Your blog books are helping you understand yourself pretty well!

I have slurped my 2008-9 blog and have been working on it little by little. A major to-do this year for me. I'm bringing in all the high res pics and reformatting every page! I know it will be well worth it.

Now you've got me even more motivated!