Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fun Filled Saturday

What a busy day we had on Saturday. We had all sorts of projects to do around the house, but we had to put them all on hold. After my workout and breakfast we headed to Hartford to meet some friends at the hot tub show going on at the Expo Center. Karlo and I have been batting around the most ridiculous idea on earth. I am almost embarrassed to even admit it. It's worse than the silly yellow car purchase. This time we were considering getting a swim spa. In case you don't know what that is, it's basically a miniature indoor swimming pool, only large enough for you to swim in place. It also called a 'current pool.' Basically you swim in place against a current. Do I even need to explain why this is the most ridiculous idea on earth?
  1. I can't really swim.
  2. I hate getting wet.
  3. I can't stand being cold and will likely never even be able to get into it. If it's cool enough for Karlo to swim, it's too cold for me . . . and if it's warm enough for me, it's too hot to swim.
  4. Do we really need yet another means of exercise in our lives?
  5. Should we make a huge investment into a house that we don't plan on staying in very long?
Well, all this logic aside we were still strongly considering it. Because you know . . . there is no logic in our world. But I have to admit, by the time we walked in the door of the expo center we were both convinced it was crazy and instead we wanted just a normal hot tub, to do nothing but relax. We don't need more exercise. There, decision made!

As if anything could be that easy. Little did we know there was a brand new breed of these spas and this one was smaller than the swim spa, had all sorts of exercise options, and the only 'swimming' you could do involved holding onto a bar and kicking your feet. That is MY kind of swimming. And the best part, you keep the temps much higher than a swim spa. Well this changed everything and completely confused us. I love this next picture. It's the sales guy kneeling, literally PRAYING TO GOD that he could convince us to buy this big ticket item.


Lord knows he tried. And Lord knows we considered it . . . all day, until we finally came to our senses and decided on a small hot tub. I have to admit all this shopping was a ball with our buddies. Too bad we didn't bring our bathing suits.

Next stop was Dad's for a quick visit. We really enjoyed spending time with my father and catching up with him. He was all excited to take some pictures around the house of all the snow.

Then we ran home to change our clothes, get all gussied up, and head out to Karlo's special belated birthday dinner. He had no idea where I was taking him and I was so excited about the surprise. I took him to a place called Vienna's, which specialized in Austro-Hungarian cuisine. It was perfect. The place was an old house with seating in the various rooms. We got seated right next to a crackling fireplace and I was a happy camper.

All the decor was from Europe and the waiters and hostesses were even dressed in authentic Austro-Hungarian attire. I was just thrilled with the atmosphere and Karlo was thrilled with the menu. Me, not so much, but I was a good sport. I was severely missing sauce and meatballs, but at least the dessert was yummy.

No comments: