Monday, January 24, 2011

Emotional Schizophrenia

Is it possible to be super excited and super disappointed at the same time, about the same thing? Well, I am. After years of hating our kitchen lighting and brainstorming alternatives to the ugly track lighting, we finally found the time to do some investigating and shopping. It’s been my dream to have some pretty pendant lights hanging over the island and by some miracle we found, and were able to special order a cool flexible track system that would accommodate for our post & beam ceiling. I was soooo happy and so excited to install it.

Karlo got busy on the project this past weekend. I helped with the entire install and it was all going too smoothly. The placement of the beams and the power, and the length of the track . . . it was all coming together before my very eyes. I was the smart one that insisted on shutting off the fuse that controls the power to the kitchen lights so it was my job to run down to the basement to flip the switch back on at fuse box. I literally ran back up the stairs in anticipation of seeing my beautiful pendants all lit up.

But when I got back to the kitchen it was dark, and Karlo was scratching his head. He said, “Well, the operation was a success, but the patient died.” Not what I wanted to hear. Karlo got the thrill of seeing the lights go on, for one brief second, before they total blew. At least I got the report that they looked really nice (for that one half a second.)

It appears that we bought 12v pendants for a 120v track system. Details!!!! Son of a gun. So we are in a pickle trying to figure out how not to completely waste our initial investment. There’s got to be a way to use the pretty glass shades that I love so much. More investigative shopping to come.

So now every time I glance over at the kitchen I feel such joy at seeing the pretty pendants hanging, but yet I feel such disappointment that they don’t work. What a strange mix of emotions. I didn’t think it was possible.

1 comment:

tina said...

oh, that really hurts. i can understand the disappointment. i hope it all gets resolved soon and not take months like it has for me :)