Saturday, January 29, 2011

Let There Be Light

And there was. We now have light over our counter and at the end of the tunnel. Leave it to my McGyver husband. Last night we set out to fix our pendant disaster. I really wasn't convinced that the problem could be solved without having to re-invest in 3 complete new pendants, but I was willing to let Karlo humor me. We brought our mini red glass shade with us to Home Depot and talked to their 'lighting experts.' We were told that they just don't carry anything that could help us out of our jam. They suggested we try a specialty lighting store, but who's got the time or patience for that?

We walked all over Home Depot, up and down every isle, all the while Karlo scratching his head. There must be someway out of this, and hopefully an inexpensive way out. I came very close to caving and buying three new pendants. They weren't terribly expensive and they would have matched our color scheme, but they didn't tickle my fancy like my mini red ones. A few minutes later Karlo reports that he has an idea. He gathered up some parts: cheap short light bulbs, a brown extension cord, and three little switch contraptions that you screw a bulb into. I was skeptical, but the entire purchase costs $16 so I figured I would let him have some fun with this project.

By the time I was done with my morning workout, this is what I see in the kitchen.

To say I was thrilled would be an understatement. I would say that Karlo is a genius, but I don't want that to go to his head. I'll never hear the end of it.

Now onto the light at the end of the tunnel. Remember the 7.5 hours of snow removal? Well, we still weren't finished. After shopping online and calling every equipment dealer in CT this morning looking for a snow blower, we finally resolved to the fact that we just aren't gettin' one this season. So Karlo headed back outside with his shovel and continued chipping away at our driveway. Look at the size of the snow wall that he had to move, by hand!



That wall was created by yours truly . . . from flinging the snow off the deck. So we didn't have to move that stinkin' snow once, but rather twice. Once from the deck and then again from driveway. What a joy.

No comments: