Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dusting Off the Sewing Machine

I wasted no time in tackling my mitten project. I started with a quick online search for 'mitten patterns' and that resulted in me not only finding a printable pattern, but also a nice little video to watch. As a matter of fact, the video was showing how to make the exact same mittens that Tina and I fell in love with. How convenient was that? It looked so easy that I figured I would just give it a try without first consulting Lisa. What could go wrong, really?

Well, if I don't mind mittens that are too small for my man hands, and a few holes here and there, I guess nothing could really go all that wrong. No blood (nor tears) were shed and therefore I consider the experiment a success. Will I ever be able to make mittens that I could actually wear? Probably not.


I was smart and decided to do a dry run before cutting up the precious cashmere, and I'm so glad I did. I sacrificed a pair of flannel pajamas that were ready to be thrown away. I had nothing to lose, except for my time. I printed out the pattern and got busy cutting out the material. I learned the very important lesson here on how crucial it is to be precise with the fabric cutting. And if anybody every tried cutting fabric you will know how nearly impossible that can be.

I had to bring my laptop to the craft room so I could watch that darn video a dozen more times. I cursed a few times and shook my head in disgust at what a terrible sewer I have become. There was a time (way back when) where I actually knew how to sew. I may even have enjoyed it back then, but let me tell you . . . those days are over. I now suck at sewing. I can't even believe that I got as far as taking this next picture. Don't look too closely . . .


Yes, they might be the ugliest and most ill-fitting mittens on Earth, but I did it. I managed to sew that darn thumb and even get the lining inside. At the very least I learned some important lessons:
  • My hands are BIG and I should never have assumed that a generic pattern would fit me.
  • When cutting the fabric it's crucial to make the pieces exactly the same size. Eyeballing things does not work well in sewing projects.
  • Sewing flimsy fabric is nearly impossible.
  • Always check the bobbin thread when starting a project because guaranteed it will run out midway through.
  • The $52 price tag on the mittens we saw yesterday was a bargain!

And the best part of the entire project . . . I got a bonus pair of comfy boxers shorts out of the deal by cutting off all the excess material.

I may just adjust the pattern for my extra large hands, as well as my extremely poor sewing skills, and give the wool & cashmere mittens a shot. But first I need to go back to the thrift shop in search of a wool sweater that I can sacrifice. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

I am beyond impressed that you, #1 went online to find patterns to try, and #2 that you made those great mittens! That pattern is way more advanced than any pattern I would have suggested. I was going to tell you to trace your hand like a Thanksgiving hand-turkey and just sew two of those together! I hope you do try them again in cashmere, I can't wait to see them!

Unknown said...

Ha, that is EXACTLY what I planned to do before my online research . . . where I learned that that plan of attack would be to make an "oven mitt." I still may revert to it if my new and improved pattern still proves to be too small for my big hands.