Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Real Valentine's Gift

For sure this will bore most, but it thrilled me to pieces. OK ladies, this is my super-duper Valentines gift . . .

Isn't it romantic? Oh, and it's not the camera, but all the other stuff. If you look closely at the bottom of the camera you will see a funny looking bracket under my tripod bracket. And hanging off of that bracket is this brilliant little pin. Here's a better (well actually, I shouldn't say 'better' because the photo is horrific) but the angle is better to show off the pin.

Now that pin hooks into the rails of the plastic contraption attached to the nylon belt. OK, this description is getting exhausting and I'm sure I'm losing you. Here's a picture that really sums it all up. I borrowed this from the manufacturer's web site. This is what it does . . .

And I am simply in love with it. I thought I loved the "R-strap" and that worked well for me for the most part. But when I saw this at the photography expo in New York and got to walk around with my camera attached to my hip, I was sold. I decided it was the most brilliant way of carrying a camera. It has a positive lock so the camera is not going anywhere unless I push the little locking lever. I can easily forget I even have the camera attached to me, which is pretty hard to do when it's dangling from a strap around your neck.

In case you're a photographer with a DSLR and are interested in this brilliant little invention, here's the website: http://www.spiderholster.com/. I have the "Black Widow" model which is a little smaller than their original model that was made for pro model bodies and lenses. My Nikon D7000 probably maxes this clip out, but it's perfect for me. Now I just can't wait for the weather to improve so I can actually leave the house with my camera. Too bad I won't get to use it much on our upcoming vacation :-(

No comments: