Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Art of Doing Nothing


Doing nothing really is an art . . . that I have yet to master. It's amazing how challenging I find it. This vacation has given me some great practice. In 10 years with Karlo we never really took a "relaxing" vacation. The closest we ever got was a European cruise for our honeymoon, but I don't remember much downtime on that trip. This past trip was all about downtime and I struggled.

As it turned out I wasn't feeling well for most of the trip. Apparently I under-estimated the power of that stupid tick. Holy cow, I woke up on Saturday with the worst headache of my life. As the day progressed, it got worse; major body (muscle & joint) aches, chills . . . just miserable. Unfortunately, I woke up in the same condition on Sunday and had to get moving for our early morning flight. You would think that given the condition I was in, I would have had no problem just laying by the pool. But no, I was bored! And hot. It was so HOT. I came to the shocking discovery that I no longer have a huge tolerance to the heat. I am just no good at either extreme - cold nor hot. Karlo could happily lay there and bake, but I was fidgeting. Despite my pounding headache I needed to walk (very slowly) along the beach and get into the pool. Yes, I must have been sick to actually get INTO the pool.


It was a long and leisurely day in Ft. Lauderdale. We got up to watch the sunset the next morning and that was really nice.


We walked the beach and lounged a little more the next day before heading to Miami to board our ship. Once we got on board it was more restless sun bathing. The ship didn't start cruising until 4pm so these 1st few hours were bloody hot with no winds. We bounced around to a half dozen decks before I finally found a place were I could sit still and that was looking over the stage and pool area. I needed to watch the activity and sing along to the music to keep me entertained. I couldn't just lay there.

No comments: