Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Human Popsicle


Our first port of call was Key West and we arrived nice and early. We got up to watch the sunrise again and had a nice breakfast on the deck. My head was still a disaster and thank God a steady dose of Alka-seltzer cold medicine seemed to let me function.

We took off for our "shore excursion" that had very little to do with the shore. We boarded a big catamaran sailboat and headed out to the 3rd largest living reef in the world. The sailboat ride was awesome. The waves were big and it was nice to really "feel" like you were on the water for a change. (The ship is so smooth you forget you're at sea.)

Despite loving the sailing part I was growing more and more anxious about the second part of the excursion - the snorkeling part. I tried this sport before in the Caribbean and it didn't go so good. I'm just not built for the water. I waited until everybody else got into the very scary looking ocean and I really didn't think I would actually get in. I had the silly fins on my feet and the uncomfortable mask on my head, but the whole time I'm thinking, "Yeah, right. I don't think so."

I'm really not sure what came over me to give me the courage to do it, but I did it! I actually got in the water and at first I hated it. I was practically hyperventilating and of course, I was FREEZING. It took me several minutes to get used to everything, especially the big waves, but I worked my way up to putting my head down and breathing through the tube. There was still some ocean drinking, coughing, and choking, but I did manage to see the reef and the beautiful fish. I was sooooo proud of myself. I was a human Popsicle, but very proud indeed.

Luckily there was plenty of time for me to sunbathe on the deck and dry out during the ride back to shore. Once we got to shore we had some time to stroll around the adorable little town. I wish we had more time and I wish I had my real camera.



Here's a little movie trailer of the big adventure.

4 comments:

lgaumond said...

Your movie trailers kill me.

tina said...

Lisa, you and me both...love the closing credits too

Penni said...

OK... I'm really impressed! In the 25+ years I have known you I have NEVER seen you in the water. Great movie trailer!

michelled said...

Awesome!!