Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cozumel Rocks


It has now been 5 straight days with a migraine-strength headache and I'm starting to worry. The cold medicine has allowed me to do everything we want to do as far as activities and nighttime shows. I've yet to attempt yoga because bending over and lowering my head makes it feel like it will explode. So yoga is out. I guess I should be happy about this situation as it really is a blessing in disguise. I'm forced into slow mode and just walking up the stairs tires me out. Thank God this didn't happen to me on our last trip. This is the perfect time for me to be like this.

Today was a leisurely morning of lounging because we didn't get into our next port - Cozumel, Mexico - until 2PM. I've been looking forward to this excursion the most and is really the reason we are on this trip at all. You see, I love fish, especially tropical ones. Given the number of fish I manage to kill every year, you would never guess that I have a love affair with them, but I do. I'm simply fascinated by them. Scuba diving would be a dream, but my fear of water prevents me from attempting that one. So when I found a clear bottom kayak trip in the place known for the bluest water in the world . . . I was sold. Pretty fish viewing while staying dry. Now that is my kind of excursion.

Picture simply does not do it justice!

When we arrived at the port the water did not disappoint. It was amazing. I've been to a few tropical islands, but those waters didn't seem to be as crazy blue as this was. It was pure torture that I didn't have a real camera with me. I didn't even have my point 'n shoot. All I had was our new little waterproof video camera, that happened to take some really low res stills. Some photographer, but I was happy to have something, anything, to capture a few memories.


We were taken to a National Park called Chankanaab and it was gorgeous and uncrowded (always a big plus for me and Karlo). As it turns out, the excursion included snorkeling, as well as kayaking, and the funny thing was that I completely blanked the snorkeling from my memory. I was just so excited about the kayaking that nothing else seemed to matter. And this is a lesson on expectations. I usually don't get excited about anything, especially trips. The reason being that it only sets me up for disappointment. Reality never seems to measure up to my crazy imagination. And I guess that is what happened to the kayaking portion of this excursion. This was actually on my Bucket List and was a pretty big deal for me. I wanted it to be perfect, but it wasn't as good as my expectations. Still nice, but not spectacular.

The spectacular part came next - the part that I never even thought twice about. We snorkeled again and it's funny how much difference a day can make. The day before I was terrified to jump into the water . . . and now I felt like a seasoned pro. After Key West (entering the deep ocean with big waves from a boat) nothing was going to phase me. Today we were getting into the water via the shore -- too easy!

This time I was among the first people in the water and only three feet from shore I stuck my head in the water and was treated to the most incredible fish show - better than I could ever have imagined or expected. I was in Heaven. I just couldn't believe how many beautiful fish were everywhere and they were not phased by the humans. They would just swim all around you. It was one of the biggest thrills of my life and I managed to stay in the water long enough to nearly freeze to death! That ridiculous theory of "Swim around and you will get used to it" just doesn't work for me. The longer I stay in the water, the lower my body temps drop. But it was worth it. I loved it!

The human Popsicle strikes again.

I also loved Cozumel, which is strange because I'm usually not drawn to tropical places. I can't totally put my finger on it, but something about the place intrigued me. The water is just mesmerizing and hypnotic and I definitely want to go back for another visit - next time with my wetsuit!

Karlo and I had fun walking through the little shops and we ditched dinner on the boat in favor of drinks and snacks on the water in one of the most fun Mexican (of course) restaurants I have ever been in. We had a blast and ate the BEST salsa of our lives. OMG I can't wait to go back!


Here's a silly little movie trailer of this day's events:

No comments: