Monday, April 7, 2008

Family Matters

I have two amusing family stories from the weekend. I’ll share one today and one tomorrow. I am kicking myself for not taking a picture yesterday. Once in a lifetime meeting of my Dad and Karlo's Mom and I blew it . . .

Yesterday my father came over for a traditional Hungarian dinner. This was Dad’s first trip out to the Boonies by himself and, of course, I was a concerned about him. I gave him explicit directions and told him that I would meet him right off the highway to guide him ‘through the woods.’ It normally takes Karlo and I about 30 minutes to get from Dad’s house to the exit, so when it got to be over 50 minutes, I started to worry.

As it turns out, my brother tried to help (uuuugh) by letting my Dad borrow the GPS unit. Now, does anybody remember my rant about the men in my life not listening to me? A few months ago, I explicitly told my brother NOT to trust his GPS coming to our house. Of course, he himself didn’t listen to me and ended up calling me (from his 4x4 SUV, with his GPS) because he was lost and needed help getting to the house. Sigh. You think that would have taught him that perhaps I know what I’m talking about. After all, I do LIVE out there. But no, he thinks he’s helping Dad by giving him the GPS. The one thing what is guaranteed to screw you up in Eastford.

Needless to say, Dad got lost IN HARTFORD and was therefore delayed getting on the highway. Now I have lots of questions here, the first being, “Why did he need the GPS to find the highway in Hartford?” He knew he was to get on I84 and get off exit 71. Why did he need help with this? Whatever.

The good news is that Dad drove home by himself with no guidance, no map and NO GPS. I grabbed him by the shoulders, shook him, and made him promise that he would NOT turn on the GPS. Low and behold he had no problems finding the highway. I was so proud of him. He was the last male family member that I would have thought would ever listen to me, but he did. Thank you Dad!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Now THAT was funny!

I can't wait to get a GPS that works... although perhaps a GPS that works is kind of an oxymoron?

Every time we tried using one, it's been a bust...

Wait 'till I show you my schedule for the kids activities for the next three months! I'm going to need a good GPS and a STIFF DRINK.

Jamie said...

Now THAT was funny!

I can't wait to get a GPS that works... although perhaps a GPS that works is kind of an oxymoron?

Every time we tried using one, it's been a bust...

Wait 'till I show you my schedule for the kids activities for the next three months! I'm going to need a good GPS and a STIFF DRINK.

Unknown said...

It has been my experience that GPS units are only helpful when you actually know where you are. I never trust them otherwise.

Anonymous said...

In Angelo's defense I HEARD him tell Dad NOT to turn the GPS on until he got off the exit that YOU told him to take. So he doesn't listen after all. But i do agree that GPS is great if you have an idea of where you are going I use it all the time to get to John's sports events around the state and as long as I know a general direction it gets me right where I want to be and also gets me on the right track when I take a wrong turn. But of course I am a women and we are better with directions anyway!!!