Friday, April 11, 2008

The Food Fest Continues

We have had a different homemade soup with dinner every night since Karlo’s mother arrived. I first typed “we had a different homemade soup FOR dinner,” but I had to change it to “with” dinner. The first thing put on the table is always soup and I always enjoy it so much that I go crazy and fill myself up. That’s right about the time that I realize the main course is still on the stove.

Last night was no exception. When we got home from work the cooking smells in the house seemed so familiar to me. I have to say that up until this point, none of the smells were recognizable or very pleasant to me. But last night . . . wow, it smelled great.

And when I tasted the soup I was in HEAVEN. Karlo’s mom explained that it was half Hungarian and half Italian! She must have invented it just for us. The base was a tomato broth (not thick like tomato soup, but more liquidy). It was seasoned to perfection and included these little homemade pasta-like pebbles. I couldn’t control myself and had to have seconds. As a matter of fact, I gobbled it up too fast to stop and take a picture. Sorry about that.

After I stuffed myself with soup, she brought these out to the table.



Couldn’t tell you what they are called, but one batch is salty and the other batch is sweet. The sweet ones have apricot jam in them. I’m still not sure where she’s getting this apricot jam from. And the best news of all . . . Karlo and his mom are going to Canada this weekend, leaving me home alone with all the leftovers. You can take a number and get in line to visit me and my Hungarian treats!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just want to warn my REAL friends not to click on these suspicious links left by BASTARD spammers. And if you're the bastard spammer reading this, go to hell and find somebody else's blog to stalk.

Jamie said...

Pretty tough talk from someone who doesn't even know the name of the food she's eating :)