Friday, October 10, 2008

A Tough Week

I started off this week with my first trip to the gym in months. I can really only bare to be working out indoors when the weather is too cold be outside. So I let Karlo torture me for the first two days of the week. It was hard and I felt weak. I hated it.

On Monday night we went to our swing dance lesson and had a ball. The next day I woke up with a sore knee – my typical bad knee and my typical knee pain. No big deal, but I was feeling like quite the wus being sore from dancing. I must say that hearing about my idol, and Olympic gold champion, Misty ending up in a cast from her dancing stint made me feel a little better.

I went back to the gym with Karlo on Tuesday for more punishment. On Wednesday I was very sore, or at least I thought I was very sore. I had no idea how much the soreness would intensify as the days went on. I thought Wednesday was bad . . . Thursday was even worse. I had a hard time just getting through the normal course of the day. Lifting my arms past shoulder level was simply impossible and there wasn’t a square inch of my back that didn’t kill if touched in any way. Try living with Karlo in this condition. You have no idea!

I actually starting to have feelings of, “I’m getting to old for this nonsense. Why do I do this to myself? I think I should retire from torturing my body.” I was getting comfortable with giving up on the idea of killing myself to stay in great shape. Life would be so much easier if I just let go of this impossible ideal. And this blissful thought lasted for at least 14 hours.

Then last night I went to line dancing class. I talked to a new local friend and got the report on how she did in her very first triathlon. She really inspired me and I made a comment like, “You go girl. I wish I could do it.” That led to her saying, “Hey, maybe next year we can do it together as a team.” My eyes immediately widened and twinkled. I jumped up and shook her hand, “You’re on. Let’s start training in the Spring.” I went home so excited I couldn’t sleep.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

Further proof that YOU ARE INSANE!! But I wish you luck!

Anonymous said...

Why wait until the spring?.... There is a marathon going on in Hartford tomorrow, why don't you run that as a warm up? There is also the Italian Festival going on in the South end this weekend. If you don't have any plans for Sunday come to Dad's house and watch John and his band march in the Columbus Day parade. The parade starts at 1030am and will be Marching right down Franklin Ave.