Saturday, December 5, 2009

Paula’s Favorite Things 2009

I caught wind of Oprah’s Favorite things last week and that reminded me that it’s time to post my own. I really enjoy making my lists and I’m trying to convince Karlo that this list should give me a good excuse to try new fun things throughout the year – for the sake of having an interesting list at year’s end. Well, without any further ado here are my favorite things of 2009 (in no particular order).

Northface Stretchy Gloves
I’ve been forever searching for a pair of gloves that don’t choke my fingers and make them cold simply by putting the gloves on. This is going to sound ridiculous, but these fit me ‘like a glove.’ They are stretchy and super comfortable. I’m even betting that I can work my camera while wearing them, which would be a super bonus. Only problem with them is (for me) they will only be useful in temps as low as 55. After that, it’s back to the mittens.


Sobe Life Water
Boy do I wish tap water tasted this good. I would never be dehydrated again. I discovered this water this summer before a bike ride. A gas station had them on special and, of course, I bought the drink that didn’t include all the bad sugars and corn syrup, but was also on sale. It was a total win/win. LOVE this stuff and I should buy it by the case.


I Love Comfort Shoes
OK, so these may not be the most fashionable shoes, but if you’re in the market for some seriously comfortable shoes these cannot be beat. In the past I’ve tried Rockports and even those hurt me. The only other shoes that are perfectly comfortable for me are Keens and those just don’t cut for say dancing or trade shows. I Love Comfort offers many dress shoe styles. I bought a pair of flats for trade shows and wore them all over Italy without socks and without the slightest bit of discomfort. I also bought a pair for ballroom dancing and they are even more comfortable than my ‘real’ dance shoes. You can find these shoes at Sears.


Pianegonda Necklace
While in Sweden Karlo bought me what he hoped was a Swedish piece of jewelry. Turns out it’s Italian (even better). It’s a very simple white gold necklace and pendant, but I love it to death. I have a crazy amount of jewelry in my jewelry box that includes many nice pieces that Karlo gave me, but for some reason I put this one on in the Spring and only took it of a handful of times. I wear it just about every single day. Now, I was going to recommend that you check out the brand because it’s so unique, but after researching it online I found out two things: 1) It’s incredibly difficult to find here in the states, and 2) it’s quite expensive. I had no idea this brand was so expensive and not only did I talk myself out of buying earrings, but I had to scold Karlo for his purchase. So let’s move on . . .


Smooth Away Hair Remover
This one is almost embarrassing. Every time I see an infomercial I get sucked in and then feel stupid. I really wanted to try this hair remover despite the fact that it looked too good to be true. So when I found it at Job Lots on the cheap, I bought it. And guess what? It really works. You just rub it on your skin and the hair just disappears. It doesn’t hurt and it’s like magic.



Plum Wine
Do you remember the plum wine we had for our anniversary? Well, it’s now my favorite sinful treat. We order a glass every time we go to our favorite Asian restaurant and it’s just so yummy. . . and strong. I swear it would be the perfect remedy for my stress because its like giant muscle relaxer. It’s not like most wine in that it’s sort of thick and smooth. You just gotta try it.


Hot Cinnamon Tea
And while we are on the subject of drinks, I discovered the best tea in the world. It’s made right here in CT by Harney and Sons and like no other teas I’ve ever tried. I have been trying to find a tea that tastes so good on it’s own that I wouldn’t need to add sugar. Convinced that nothing like this existed I resolved to just using lots and lots of sugar. But this stuff is just what I’ve been looking for. Delicious on it’s own. Not sure if you can buy it at the grocery store, but you can order right on their web site. At first I thought it was a little pricey, but when you consider how much you spend at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, it’s a bargain for a truly gourmet drink.

Neti Pot
OK, I have to admit, I first discovered what a neti pot was on Oprah. But it was a complete stranger that pushed me to try one. I complained about my constant sinus headaches on my YogaDudes blog and somebody recommended I give the neti pot a try. I’ll be damned, it worked. I almost got through the entire allergy season without meds. I still can’t believe how it makes you feel to clean out your nasal passages. I highly recommend it.

Netflix Streaming
Here’s one favorite thing that costs nothing! Well, that is assuming that you’re already a member of Netflix. I don’t know many people that aren’t. Most people use Netflix for renting movies and TV shows, but this year I discovered that subscribing to Netflix is like getting a free gym membership. I use it every week in my office. I shut my door, pick out a work-out video, and exercise right in my office. There are tons of different workouts to pick from and I choose whatever strikes my mood that day. I love it. No more buying and carrying around dozens of work-out DVDs. They have everything from yoga and Pilates, to kickboxing and dancing. Check them out.

Kiln
I just couldn’t make a list of my favorite things from 2009 and not include my kiln. I am so surprised and proud of myself for actually using it. It has been much more fun than I ever imagined. The perfect outlet for my creativity. I’m sure I’ll be enjoying it for many more years to come.

No comments: