Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cooper Is In Training

We heard last week about a burglary that took place in our sleepy little town. And apparently it's one of many that has occurred over the past 6 months. Who knew? I guess when you think about, robbing somebody out in the woods makes a lot of sense. It's not like any neighbors can see each other's houses. Seems like it would be pretty easy to pull off. Well, except for the fact that most people that live in the boonies pack some heat. And I'm hoping to be one of those people some day. I've wanted guns since the day we moved in. Not only for protection, but to play with. We have a perfect shooting range here. The only reason I avoided getting and shooting guns on the property is because of our skittish dogs.

So since they are the reason we don't have guns, I figured they need to earn their keep. Well, forget about Peanut. She's just hopeless. Way too cute and scared to ever look or act mean. But Cooper, now he has potential. Nice big guy with a dark face. He can look vicious . . . maybe . . . with some training.

As soon as I heard about this story last week I banged my hand on the desk and said, "See, I knew we should have gotten the Dobbie that I wanted to begin with." Then I got the brilliant idea of docking Coopy's ears to make him look meaner. That gave us a good laugh. But at the very least we can buy him a nice mean-looking studded leather collar. And maybe we should change his name to Spike, or Duke, or Attila, or something equally as tough.

So Cooper, oops I mean Spike, is now in training. We are trying to teach him to be mean. OK maybe just an occasional bark would be good. He's got one more week of training and then we're going to see how Jill does when we ask her to enter our garage all by herself. I guess she will be our crash test dummy. What a sport she is!

No comments: