Monday, February 8, 2010

Don’t Save it for a Rainy Day

Normally after I spend (or commit to spend) a large sum of money I have that guilty, almost remorseful feeling. I’m not sure why I do this, but it’s never really been easy for me to spend on myself. Last month when I decided to splurge on me with my facial products it was such a new feeling. And it felt really good to do something nice for myself without that nagging guilt.

So here I am after booking a rather expensive European vacation and, of course, I had that sinking feeling in my stomach, reminding me that the economy sucked last year and thinking about how both Karlo and I took a substantial hit in our salaries. Unfortunately our salaries are directly proportional to the amount of sales the company that we work for makes. So knowing that we made less money caused me to question whether or not we should be splurging on another big vacation.

I have to say, those guilty feelings didn’t last more than a day. No sooner did we book the final detail of the trip, but we get word that my closest aunt is in the hospital with (likely) cancerous tumors on her lung, liver, and brain. Not more than one month after getting a clean bill of health from her doctor she can’t walk and is awaiting news of her fate. This really puts things into perspective. Karlo always says, “Tomorrow never comes.” Why wait for tomorrow if you can something today? You just never know what the future will bring. I spent most of my life saving things for the future, but lately the lyrics to that song “Live like you’re dying” are really hitting home. I’m done saving my life for some undetermined time in the future. I’m done eating stale chocolate because I’ve been saving it for a special occasion. I want to live every day to the fullest and only worry about tomorrow when tomorrow actually comes.

1 comment:

tina said...

i hope she is doing well and the
doctors will have good news. i
send my best to you, your dad and
the rest of your family.