Monday, February 15, 2010

Thoughts On the Olympics

This past weekend we watched a few hours of the Olympics. Every Olympic year I look forward to, and try so hard to stay up for the opening ceremonies, but it’s the same sad story over and over. I always fall asleep. Last year was particularly heartbreaking because the Chinese really put on a show of all shows.

So I got all ready for the big show on Friday night and the first thing that hit me was the shock over how I could be so overcome with grief and sadness at the passing of an athlete that I didn’t even know existed prior to turning on the TV. It was so incredibly sad to think about the elation this young guy must have experienced making it to the Olympics. His lifetime dream had come true . . . only to get to Vancouver and have it all end before he even got the chance to compete. My God, it was just so sad.

The second thing that made me sit up and take notice was the pure beauty of Vancouver. I’m pretty sure next year’s vacation spot has just been decided upon.

And the third thing to strike me (and this is also the same story every year) is the astonishment of how geography inept I am. So many countries that I just never heard of! Where do all these little country come from? I swear I can’t keep up with the changing globe and it just fascinates me. Poor Karlo spent an hour explaining where all the little unknown countries were in relation to ones that I knew. It was an exhausting geography lesson. No wonder I fell asleep not long after the athletes marched in.

No comments: