Monday, November 24, 2008

I’m So Ashamed

One of the more exciting parts of my weekend involved my new camera arriving. I’ve been trying really hard to hold back from buying another camera for a long time, but I finally caved. I decided to sell my old one on eBay and since it successfully sold (for more than I expected) I treated myself to a new purchase. I’ve been chatting with a cyber friend regarding me buying a real DSLR. She insists that I should and I my response is always, “I don’t deserve one.” Not because I think my photographic talents don’t warrant a ‘real’ camera, but because I know myself better and I know that I won’t use it enough to justify the expense. Here’s a great example . . . I got my brand new camera, couldn’t wait to play with it and learn all about its features, but notice the great pictures at the top of this blog to show off its capabilities. That’s right, I’ve got nothing to show for it. Didn’t take a single picture. OK, maybe I took one, but it wasn’t very good and only sent it to our publisher (don’t ask).

It’s downright depressing to get a new camera in November. It has to be one of the dreariest months of the year. Everything is brown and dead outside. Nothing is pretty. Not to mention the fact that it’s too cold for me to be outdoors without mittens on. So my new camera is going to hibernate for a while before I really break it in. But in case you’re curious, this is what I got:
I’m hoping to use it to get some great action shots of the hounds snoozing this winter.

4 comments:

lgaumond said...

I may have to hate you now. I didn't know you were getting a DSLR!!

Please promise me you'll at least read the manual.

michelled said...

I've barely taken any picture either! It's November for goodness sakes! Don't beat yourself up. It's going to be a quiet winter for me too because I don't like flash photography.

Jamie said...

Cuz, let's hook up and take a stroll around your yard and take a bunch of pictures! I'll be happy to come out and take some pics.

As a matter of fact, I'd love to come in the evening and try to do some astrophotography (another little side, side, side hobby).

Anonymous said...

Paula,
If you find that you are not using this camera enough I would LOVE to help you out and borrow it. I have been looking for exactly that very same camera for taking pictures of John's band and sporting events. Since he is always so far away from where I am I can never get a GOOD close up of him and I have been looking for a camera that has 15-20X optical zoom and from the look of your camera it is a 15X zoom. I will still use my " pocket" digital camera for most picture taking but when I go to his events I want something with a closer zoom. So don't fear I will use it for you if you want so you won't feel so guilty.