Friday, November 21, 2008

Thursday’s Highlights

Yesterday was a busy day and I didn’t get a chance to blog. What was I doing? I spent a couple of hours playing with an early Christmas present. My career Santa brought an early delivery. I got the new Adobe CS4. Probably only two of my loyal readers even know what that is. It’s new software and being the software geek that I am, I got totally sucked into it. The day flew by.

In addition to my new software, I got some other new items yesterday – not quite as exciting as the software and not quite ‘for me.’ My Mini also got an early Christmas present and is now sporting four new tires. I can’t think of many more un-gratifying purchases. I really dislike spending lots of money to replace something that I already had. If you’re going to spend a few hundred or even thousand dollars, you should really get MORE than you had before. But in this case I feel like I just lost $400 out of my wallet. I can’t tell the difference between new tires and bald tires and let’s face it, that car will see as little snow as possible so I don’t think I’ll actually ‘feel’ the difference. All I felt yesterday was the annoyance of driving back from the shop and having one of my warning indicator lights start flashing on the dash. Come to find out it was the “your tire pressure is too low or you have a flat tire” indicator. Now should THAT happen with four new tires professionally installed? Uuugh. Luckily Karlo fixed everything so I didn’t have to drive all the way back.

And lastly, last night was our big meeting with the wetlands commission. Just like the tire purchase couldn’t be anymore un-gratifying, enduring that meeting couldn’t be any more unappealing. Firstly, the room was freezing cold and I had to sit my boney butt on a metal folding chair until they called us up. It was boring as can be to sit through some engineer’s presentation. The whole while I’m thinking, “Are we expected to give a formal presentation?” The good news is that we were not expected to give a formal presentation. The bad news is that we are ‘guilty by association.’ Their first question was, “Is this the former Holtzshu residence?” My first thought was, “uh oh, we’re in trouble.” Let’s just say that Rick didn’t make many friends on the wetlands commission and our pond caused 2 years of grief to lots of people. Can they really hold this against us? I did my best to charm them all and now we wait . . .

No comments: