Sunday, November 30, 2008

One Day of Bliss at Home

Not long ago I came to the realization that since we've moved to Eastford Karlo and I hardly spend any of our free time together. Back in Andover we spent nearly every waking moment together, minus the little time that Karlo spent on outdoor up-keep. But now I almost never see him. The grounds take an enormous amount of his time. He spends hours upon hours cutting the grass, chopping wood, and fixing all his necessary equipment. When he does come inside, he can usually be found in the basement tinkering with his motorcycles, ATV, or now with the new router. Despite the fact that I NEVER find myself without a dozen things to do in the house, I still miss my husband.

To remedy this problem, I decided that it would be fun to pretend that we were ‘going away’ when in fact we were staying home — a sort of ‘vacation at home.’ This is something that I always wanted to do, but never did. So we deemed Saturday as our ‘vacation day.’ No chores were allowed and we were to spend the entire day together, as if we were on vacation. After all, we live in a nicer place that we would ever stay in on a real vacation so why not enjoy it?
Saturday was the best day we’ve had since we moved in. We lingered in bed later than we normally do with no pressures of having to get up to get busy on our projects. We did yoga together and then enjoyed my now-famous Belgian waffles. I even baked some bread! We took a nice leisurely hike with dogs, sipped tea in our sitting room, and played some pool. We even went out to stroll around downtown Putnam after dark just to test out my camera. The night ended with a some cuddling on the couch in front of the fire, a big bowl of popcorn, and a chick flick. I never wanted that day to end . . .

I had my new camera at my side for most of the day, not only to document this very rare occasion, but also to test it out. I uploaded a few pics from the day, with captions either explaining what we were doing or camera specifics.

Click here to view the slide show from the glorious day. If you want to read the rather long captions you may have to increase the seconds delay.

I look forward to our next ‘stay at home weekend getaway.’

3 comments:

lgaumond said...

Very nice! Pretty pictures. I hope you make that relaxation thing a regular habit!

Jamie said...

I'm glad I suggested "picture day"... if I only could have joined you! I do like how the pictures came out though.

michelled said...

Sounds like an awesome day. Very nice pictures. Like the tree trunk with the mushrooms (?) growing on it.

My hubbie and I could use one of those days. But it probably won't happen for another 14 years. Oh well!

Dogs are beautiful. Wondering what settings your "glorified point and shoot" has.