Friday, November 7, 2008

Wrapped in Red Tape

I have entered into bureaucratic red tape Hell and I’m ready to throw in the towel. Remember this little project of Karlo’s? The one Tina thinks will be a giant water feature . . .

Well, we were planning to put an adorable Kloter Farms shed on the hillside, overlooking the pond. Not only do we already have a deposit on the shed, but Karlo has already dug and picked his way through solid rock and poured the concrete footings. I know we never should have done ANY work before getting the building permit first, but once Karlo gets an idea in his head there is no stopping him.

We went to the Town Hall a couple of weeks ago to get the permit. But, of course, it couldn’t be that easy. It appears that we are in violation of the wetlands because the structure is too close to our pond. And so the fun begins.

I am honestly losing my mind, and my patience, with this incredibly confusing and difficult process. Given the fact that the Town Hall is only open a handful of hour per week and the employees only return emails every other full moon, I can’t get any assistance. All I know is that I have to submit the 20-page application before November 14th so that I can plead my case in front of the committee on the 20th. The Town Hall is only open late two nights per month, the next one is next Tuesday, and I just realized that it’s a holiday. It seems the planets are realigning to prevent us from having this shed, yoga/dance studio. I am so very close to just giving up and forgetting the whole thing. Sigh.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

My dad just got the permit to build a garage that he applied for last spring. Or was it longer than that? It seems like years. He feels your pain.

Anonymous said...

Don't you remember how long it took Dad and Ang to get the wetlands changed and the approval for a building permit in Haddam --Years Good Luck!!!