Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Karma

Do you believe in Karma? I think I do. There is at least some sort of mystical balancing system in the universe. For instance, within two weeks of stealing Karlo’s new iTouch, I lost my Sansa MP3 player. The universe was trying to tell me that I’m either not meant to own more than my fair share of MP3 players or I shouldn’t have stolen Karlo’s new toy.

My latest brush of Karma is even stranger. A few weeks ago I made a purchase on Ebay. I bought a wholesale lot of necklaces – blanks that I can add my own pendants to. I bought this lot along with several other products from the same seller and although all the other products were fine, these necklaces were very disappointing. Almost half of them broke when I tried to work with them. Instead of writing back and demanding my money back (like I should have) I went to the store and bought some special glue to fix them myself. I also left some neutral feedback on Ebay. It wasn’t negative feedback, just neutral, but I did state my disappointment with the quality of the product. I gave the seller good marks for quick shipping, communication, and whatever else was on the report card and yet I still felt guilty for my small complaint, which was crazy. What is the point of this rating system if you’re not going to be honest?

Two nights ago I went into my craft room to gather all the broken necklaces to repair them. I had two piles on the table – one pile of ‘broken for sure’ necklaces and another pile of untested ones. I knew that half of the untested ones would break so I figured I might as well grab those now to test and fix them all at once. I went from the craft room, to our bedroom, to the kitchen to get busy. Only problem was that when I arrived in the kitchen I only had one pile of necklaces. The untested ones disappeared somewhere between the second and first floor of the house. What the . . .?? I retraced my steps and combed over every inch of all three rooms. I even added a few extra rooms that I swear I didn’t enter. Two nights of searching and I still haven’t found the necklaces. All because I complained on EBay. I am going to be very careful about everything I do from now on. This is getting scary.

No comments: