Sunday, November 16, 2008

Paula’s Favorite Things 2008

It’s time for my annual “Oprah’s not the only one that gets to make a favorites list" List. This is a fun exercise every year. It makes me look back and try to remember the items that stood out and made my life happier, easier, or more comfortable. And since I love to share when I find something that I really love I’m going to share with you “Paula’s Favorite Things of 2008.”

1. I was going to add “in no particular order to the end of the last sentence, but I just couldn’t. The number 1 (material) thing that has made me the most happy this year has got to be my car. I have an unhealthy love affair going on with my MINI Cooper. Now I know this is not going to help you with your Christmas shopping, nor are you going to run out and buy one just for the heck of it (although you should) but my favorites list of 2008 simply could not be complete without my MINI on the top of the list. I’m not going to list all the things I love about it because I don’t have all night. So now . . . in no particular order here is the rest of my list . . .

2. Ten Minute Trainer DVDs by Tony Horton – After completing my 90 days of Hell workout last spring I was pretty sure I never wanted to hear or see Tony Horton again. But he masterminded the best workout routine in the world. It’s literally 10 minutes a day and it kicks booty. Gone is the “I don’t have time to work out” excuse. These videos are awesome and I love them to pieces. I highly recommend this program to anyone wanting to add exercise into their busy lives and really get into shape.

3. iTouch – For a while I had a little bit of a love hate relationship with the iTouch, but now I’m starting to really like it. It mostly either sits on the couch, and allows me to surf when Karlo is watching ‘boy TV,’ or sits in another “Paula Favorite” to provide our house with some tunes. Great little gadget for many different reasons.



4. Which leads me to the Bose SoundDock Portable. Now that I have it, I can’t imagine life without it. The thing sounds amazing, is surprisingly compact, and the best part . . . you can unplug it and carry it anywhere you want to go. It’s got a super duper rechargeable battery pack that can play for hours. When you plug it back into an outlet it gets busy recharging itself. Oh, and it charges your iPod too. Simply brilliant.


5. This may surprise some, but my new waffle maker has officially made it to my Favorites List. So far I’ve used it every weekend and have yet to screw up a waffle. The thing is truly “Paula-proof.” I love it.



6. And here’s another surprise addition to the list . . . Simple 123 One Dish cookbook. This is the only cookbook that I use and may be the last one that I'll ever buy. It is the perfect cookbook. Not only does it show a picture of the finished dish (which is a must for me), but it also shows pictures of the ingredients. OK, stop laughing. This is VERY handy for me. All the meals are prepared in just one dish, which is another key prerequisite for any meals I make. So far I’ve made dozens of different dishes and almost all of them came out edible. Well, actually they almost all came out really good.

7. The Dana Owens Album — Has anybody ever heard of Dana Ownes? How about Queen Latifah? Well, it’s the same person. The pioneer of women’s rap has completely changed her image for this CD. If I had to compare it to something I would say it’s a female version of Harry Connick or Michael Buble. She sings soulful, jazzy ballets that I just adore. Please check her out and give some songs a listen. Now this would make a nice Christmas treat for yourself.

8. Harmonic Wealth — A complete stranger recommended this book to me via a comment on my YogaDudes blog. I was curious enough to check the book out on Amazon and it took me less than a minute to decide to buy it. Halfway through reading the book I made Karlo promise that he would also read it. He did and we both agreed that the book was life changing. I highly recommend it. Two thumbs up, 5 stars. If you want a more fulfilled, happy life, buy the book and read it with an open mind.


9. Avon Face Perfector —OK, so maybe it doesn’t make your face ‘perfect,’ but I can attest to the fact that it greatly improved my dreadful skin. This stuff slides over your face like a silky glove, smoothing and glowing as it goes. It’s not often that I get suckered into these sort of beauty items and think they were worth the money, but this time I was pleasantly surprised . . . by both the price tag and the results.


10. Garmin Nuvi — This isn’t our first year with a GPS so the novelty of having one isn’t all that exciting. However, this particular GPS has been terrific for us because it’s very compact and has great battery life. Not only do we use it on our cars, but also on the motorcycle and our bicycles. Can’t tell you how handy it’s been on our bikes. We are still mostly lost around the Quiet Corner of CT and this thing has been a God-sent.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Footnote: After I posted this last night I remembered two more favorite things . . . I watched another Jeff Dunham skit last night and I have to say, he is one of my favorite finds of 2008. I can't get enough of him and his puppet friends. And lastly, my FLANNEL sheets. Heaven on Earth. OK, Lisa . . . your turn. I can't wait to see your list.