Thursday, January 29, 2009

Don’t Be Afraid

The following blog post may frighten you. It scares me!

Last night I made dinner. The end.




Just kidding. Last night I made dinner in one of my new pans. After burning most things on my stove top for the past year, I decided that my cheap TFal pans were not cutting it on our gas stove. There is a big difference cooking on gas compared to electric. Now I never dreamed that I would ever get to the point in my life where I could tell the difference, but all of my dried out and partially burnt rice, despite the fact that I followed the directions to a T (like I always do), told me that something was not right. It was time to invest in some heavier duty pans.

That was when Karlo and I set out to the home stores in search of a new pan. We were both completely shocked and amazed by what we found there. And even more shockingly was the price of what we found. I couldn’t believe how expensive pans were, nor could I believe how HEAVY they could be. Well, I didn’t splurge on the several hundred dollar, wrist breaking pans, but I did get a nice pan with real non-stick coating, and . . . are you ready? I love it. Did I just say that? Don’t tell anyone I said that.

The pan is just heavy enough to stand up to the real flame and the non-stick coating works so good that I’m accidentally sliding the food right out of the pan during cooking. Add to that the fact that I just got some new pampered chef items and I love those too. I had FUN chopping an onion last night. OK, this is getting out of control. I better stop this blog now before I’m responsible for anybody dying from shock.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

I had to sit down after reading that. You what? You ENJOYED chopping an onion? It's a miracle.

And the image of you and Karlo shopping for pans at the home store would be like me shopping for gear in a bike shop. HOW MUCH for socks? Seriously?

But I'm glad you like it! See? Cooking is fun.

Unknown said...

What a great analogy. And it's so true. I'm not the slightest bit phased at spending $50 for a pair of bike shorts, but refuse to spend $40 on a pair of jeans. I'm just used to the cost of bike gear and I don't even try to justify it. My only thought was, "WHY ON EARTH should a pan cost that much? It's just a PAN?" Totally out of my element.