Friday, January 30, 2009

My Stimulus Package

As part of my economic stimulus package I’ve been researching a mortgage refinance. I must say, it’s been two weeks of Hell. I’ve been caught between two different banks, both telling me all the reasons why theirs is the better deal. My head as has been spinning and the stress of locking in or waiting for a better deal was overwhelming. I got to the point where I actually started to wonder if the extra money saved was worth the aggravation.

Also this week, I decided that our cable bill was getting out of control. Sending my least favorite company in the world – wait, Sony is my least favorite so that makes Charter Communications my second least favorite company – nearly $200 a month was making me ill. It was time to cut back so I ditched our movie channels to save $14 a month. Yes, it’s a sacrifice, but Netflix is only $8.00 a month and every little bit helps.

So after making a sacrifice to save less than $10 a month I thought it smart to trudge ahead with the stress of refinancing and I’m glad I did. Two days ago I locked in at 4.75% (& no points) with one of the two banks, and I even got a special deal where if the rates drop further before we close I’ll get the lower rate. This is a huge savings per month for us and now I’m ready to go out and stimulate the economy.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

What bank? I'm in the market to re-fi... my Bank of America rep is telling me there's a drop coming and to check back in a week or two.