Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I’m Conflicted

It’s Tuesday night and the premiere of American Idol is about to start. I haven’t missed the premiere of American Idol since it started too many years back to remember. My confliction is due to the fact that my favorite show Fringe is also on Tuesday night and I can’t watch both. What am I to do? I spent nearly an hour today trying to research means of recording TV via DVRs. We no longer own a barbaric VCR and I haven’t sprung for Tivo or a DVR through our cable company. After all my research and talking to some techie friends, I discovered that many popular shows are available via the network websites. All you do is go to the site and stream the video on demand. Now granted you can’t watch the episodes until a week or so after they air, but that’s fine by me. I searched around and found that I can watch Fringe and New Adventures of Old Christine (which I love, but I can never remember what day or time it airs) anytime I want. I’m so excited. Now I can peacefully watch American Idol tonight without stressing that I’m missing Fringe. Life is good again.

And life is doubly good since I just renewed our subscription to Netflix. Ever since I discovered that it’s monkey simple to hook a laptop up to our big screen TV I realized how easy it is to watch streaming video from the comfort of our couch. Since Netflix offers many options via instant streaming I couldn’t resist. And boy did it come in handy today. I planned to bring a P90X DVD to the office today for my lunch time workout. Unfortunately I forgot the darn CD on the counter, but Netflix saved the day. In less than 2 minutes I found dozens of workout videos and had one streaming in my office in no time. Now I have a private gym, on demand, right in my office. Love it. The biggest bonus . . . the streaming workouts from Netflix are a LOT easier than P90X and that made my day.

No comments: