Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Living With a Teenager

Jessica has been visiting this week and it’s remarkable how different life is with a ‘kid’ around the house. OK, maybe she’s not a kid anymore, but I’m certainly feeling a little hipper just having her around. After noon today I’ll hopefully be looking a little hipper too. It must have been Jessica’s influence that made me pick that new hairstyle.

In addition to helping me pick out my new doo, Jess introduced us to something fun (and probably illegal). Did you know that you could watch movies for free right off the internet? This was news to me. There’s a site www.watch-movies.net that lists hundreds of movies, even first run flicks that just opened at the box office, and all you do is click and watch. Two nights ago we hooked a laptop directly to our TV and watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Leave it to Jess to know how to do this. She also introduced me to Limewire years ago and is responsible for my iPod being loaded with free music.

Now shopping with a teenager is a completely different story. I don’t think I’m ready to do that again anytime soon. I don’t have the stamina for it, nor the patience. But I do have to admit, parts of it were rather amusing. For instance Jessica insisted that I try on ridiculous shoes and boots with 6 inch stiletto heels. In my entire life my feet have never touched shoes like that. We had some good laughs as I stood, over 6 feet tall with wobbly legs, complaining that I would tip over and never make it out of the house in them. We argued about the ‘pole dancing’ shoes that she insisted on buying and I even got persuaded to buy some ‘sexy’ boots with heels too high for me. I’ll be thinking about Jessica all day today as the pain from my new blister reminds me of those darn boots.

No comments: