Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just Doesn’t Get Any Better Than This

We sure do know how to have fun on a Monday evening. We spent the entire evening last night putting up the roofing shingles on half of the shack’s roof. What a fun job that was. First there was the terrifying fear of watching Karlo run around on the roof. At least this time he agreed to tie a rope to himself, just in case. The only problem was that he had to hold the rope in one hand and try to use the free hand to put the shingle in place, grab a nail, and then nail it in. As you can imagine, that was impossible so he almost always had to drop the rope. The scariest part was the first 3 or 4 rows because he had to do those while standing on the very slippery (un-shingled roof), reach down, and work backwards. The best part of this scenario was the fact that I was below the roof on the ‘staging’. It was my job to stop the shingles from slipping down and hold them in place while he nailed. This was great. Not only did I not have to watch the death-defying circus act that was going on above, but I also got a million tar pebbles in my face, hair and eyes. When I ducked under the eavesdrop I got sawdust pouring on my head. And if all that wasn’t enough pleasure, I had daddy-long-legs spiders crawling on my shoulders and bees buzzing in my ears while I tried to hold the shingles perfectly still. I almost can’t wait to do this all over again tonight when we tackle the other side of the roof.

But tonight won’t be quite as exciting. It’s not supposed to rain tonight. Did I mention that it started to rain last night, and one of us (we won’t mention which one) was too stubborn to stop working? So that made my aluminum ladder nice and slippery for my 35 one-handed trips up and down, carrying the shingles and all the necessary tools up the roof. And tonight I will probably not forget that the staging is there when I'm squatting down picking up all the garbage that Karlo throws off the roof . . . So maybe tonight I won't crack my head into the corner of a 2x4 like I did last night. Who’s idea was this shed anyway?

2 comments:

Karlo said...

You are a real trooper Paula . . . I told you that you would enjoy the experience . . .

tina said...

cant wait to see this "shed"