Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Too Much Excitement For One Day

Our last full day on the boat was very exciting. It started with tube rides. I insisted that there was no way in Hell that I would ever get onto that thing to be pulled around by the ski boat, but after the first three victims (one of them being pregnant) came back completely dry, I got brave and jumped on. What a hoot! It was a blast and I’m so glad I didn’t chicken out.




Later, Karlo and I took a hike along the rocks hunting for snakes and scorpions. Luckily all we encountered were snake tracks. Phew! The hike was relatively short because the sun was so strong and more storm clouds were brewing in the distance. Everybody gathered back at the boat for more storm prep procedures.

We thought we had the boat all secure, but this storm was a little worse than the previous one. The winds were blowing over 20 mph and one of the anchor pins let go. The crew entered panic mode and the captain ran to the controls as the rest of the guys jumped on shore to rescue the line and re-secure it. During this time Joan and I were watching the action from inside the salon when Joan suffered a terrible accident. Frank accidentally left the engine room cover open in his hast to get some needed tools. This essentially leaves a 3’ x 3’ hole in the floor and Joan fell straight through it. I was the only person with her and had to spring into medical action. We all know how well I do with that!!! It was dreadful. Blood was squirting and this time I couldn’t run away. She needed me and I’m so proud of myself that I came through. I did everything she told me to do. Thank goodness she’s a nurse and owner of a very successful medical company. Between the medical incident and the storm it sure was an exciting night.

Soon the storm passed. We got Joan bandaged and splinted, but the water was still too rough to get back to the marina to take Joan to the hospital. She toughed it out by opening a few bottles of wine. We drank and made a campfire on the shore. Nothing like ending the exciting day with a few smores under the stars.

1 comment:

tina said...

i want to go tubing and not get wet
yippeeee!!!