Tuesday, June 2, 2009

There’s a Storm a Brewin’

We started the morning with another ski boat excursion through some narrow canyons with our hosts Joan & Frank. We were scouting out another private spot to anchor and we found the perfect one at a place called Face Canyon. Just when I thought you couldn’t get any better than our first private cove, we did indeed find a place that was even nicer. Finding these nice spots on Lake Powell is quite the sport and once you find one you need to stake your claim. Normally you set up beach chairs and head back to the houseboat, but this spot was too nice to risk losing so Joan and I debarked the speed boat and protected our spot from the many other boats that came sniffing around. We had a couple of chairs, an umbrella, a few drinks, and a shot gun . . . everything we needed to be deserted alone on this shore for a while until the boats came back to us. (Ok, just kidding about the shot gun!) This wouldn’t have been a bad set-up if it wasn’t for the dark storm clouds heading straight for us. I tried to be cool because I knew I was in good hands, as Joan is very much into disaster preparedness, but I got a little nervous when she handed me a beer and said, “Drink up girlfriend. That storm is coming and I need you relaxed.” Gulp.

We decided to make a plan. We hiked up the rocks looking for a rock ledge that would provide some shelter. It was here that I was wishing I wasn’t wearing flip flops – not the best rock climbing shoes. Lisa would have been so proud of me. All the drinking and the planning was pointless because the boats came back with just enough time to anchor and batten down the hatches. The whole scene was very exciting.

The storm came and went and was fun to watch. Within an hour it was bright and sunny again and time to take a kayak ride through the narrow canyon. We splashed around in the water and played with Joan’s adorable labs, who never seem to tire from playing fetch.



That day was ended with a spectacular dinner to celebrate the birthday of Joan’s son who was also on board. It was a feast fit for a king. The sky cleared up from the storm and the stars were amazing. Karlo and I danced on the upper deck and joined Frank and Joan for some star gazing, ice cream eating, and Sambuca sipping. I was ready to make the lounge chair my bed for the night.

No comments: