Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hungarian Lesson #1

Since it was so much fun to ask Karlo the meanings of all my nicknames, and the TV murmuring in the background during dinner tonight talked about a guy that could count to 10 in 40 different languages, I was prompted to ask Karlo to teach me how to count in Hungarian. Nothing gets us laughing like me trying to mimic Hungarian words. As a matter of fact the guy on TV was asked which language (of the 40 he can count in) was the hardest and he said Mandarin Chinese. Karlo heard that and said, “Obviously he doesn’t know Hungarian.” I heard somewhere once that Hungarian is indeed one of the the hardest languages in the world to speak. So it’s not just me that simply can not do it.

Our little after-dinner-lesson led us to all kinds of laughing. So much, in fact, that I now I have a stomach ache! But anyway, I was positively miserable at both pronunciation as well as memorization. I determined that I’m a very visual person and I need to see the written words. I proceeded to write the words down and that gave Karlo a good laugh. He let me write down ‘my versions’ of the words and then he wrote down the real spelling. I personally thought I did pretty good!

Just in case you want to try to learn along with me . . . here is lesson number #1 (click on image to enlarge)

Numbers to 10 . . . followed by Colors


Next week we’ll start with verbs, or other words that involve a dozen consonants with no vowels.

1 comment:

tina said...

what struck me the most was seeing your handwriting. i have not seen it in so long because i usually see your type-written words. it was like seeing a friend for the first time in so many years...