Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pressure Cooker

Blogging may be a challenge this week. Actually life is a challenge this week. Work is just about to the point of breaking me. We are getting ready for our biggest trade show in Chicago and I'm convinced that there just aren't enough days between now and show time for me to accomplish all that I need to. I'm a certified chicken with my head cut off at the office and I'm wondering how long I can endure this pace before falling flat on my face.

And it's not easy either because I'm in the perfect position to take all the blame if things don't go well, but yet receive none of the credit if they do. I've been down this road before in a different job and it didn't end well.

So on the back of the motorcycle this afternoon I couldn't stop thinking about work. It's a common occurrence there days. Work monopolizes all of my waking thoughts (and most likely my sleeping thoughts too, but luckily I can't remember those). Every year we are tasked to come up with our 'personal goals' for the following year. This is such a ridiculous BS exercise, but it occurred to me that this year I'm going to have some good goals. They are as follows: (I need to document them here so I don't forget come goal making time!)

  1. Make the people that matter understand that the amount of hours you sit in the building is not nearly as important as the amount of work you produce.
  2. Get recognized and rewarded for all the hard work I do and the extra miles that I go.
  3. Try really hard not to get so frustrated that I quit!
Those should keep me busy all year . . .

1 comment:

tina said...

don't forget to take some time in the day to do something for yourself even if it is a few minutes. the key is to make sure you recognize that what you are doing is for you and truly enjoy every moment of it.