Monday, December 17, 2007

Because Karlo is Away


And because every time he's away I need to have a blog entry entitled, "Because Karlo is Away" . . .

I dreaded Karlo taking off for the airport yesterday afternoon. We lost the entire day. The first several hours Karlo spent outside battling the ice in an attempt to clean the driveways and decks. No sooner did he finish, it was time to take off for Bradley. Sometimes I really hate his job. Not only was I worried about him rushing to the airport on the ice roads (only to sit there for several hours waiting for the flight to eventually leave), but I was also concerned about staying home alone during the storm. What were the chances that nothing would go wrong while he was away? Slim.

All was well when I went to bed last night. I did my share of struggling with the wood stove, trying to keep the fire alive. I did fair to poor at best. Filled the house with smoke, burnt my hand, etc. But at least the fire department didn't have to make a visit. I crawled into the cold bed, that seems to stay cold forever when Karlo's not around. I even contemplated inviting the dogs upstairs.

I finally got to sleep and was woken only a few hours later out of a very deep and restful sleep. It wasn't the dogs crying or the wind outside that woke me. It was that annoying BEEPing of the stupid security system. The system that we still have yet to arm! Now what? How does it KNOW that Karlo is out of town? At first I tried to ignore it, but that was impossible. Every 10 seconds it beeps. So I dragged myself out of the now warm bed to investigate. The panel read "Trouble" or something equally alarming. Before any panic took over me, I was able to cycle through some screens to determine that the "trouble" was the loss of phone line and loss of electricity. Great!

Not sure how I managed to get the beeping to stop, but I did and crawled back into bed . . . where I laid there sleepless for the rest of the night. My mind wouldn't stop. How on earth will I get that generator going in the morning? How many days will this last? How am I going to torture the guy at work that sent Karlo away? Is the wind going to blow that huge branch that is hanging over the house into the roof? Am I shaking because I'm getting cold or because I'm scared?

The good news is that all those worries were unfounded. The power was restored just after sunrise! But because Karlo deserted me during the storm, he needs to be punished. So a little public humiliation is in order. Please click on the link below for a good laugh:

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1485056855

3 comments:

lgaumond said...

Ha! My first thought when I saw the picture was "come on, I want the animated, dancing version!" Excellent.

Anonymous said...

i hope karlo will be around when we all get together :)

Unknown said...

I'll make sure that he practices his elf dance for all the girls!