Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Paula's Favorite Things

Oprah gets her list, so I wanted to make a list of my own. Forget gift ideas. I’m sharing this list with you so that you can go out and get yourself something. I’ve compiled some of the things that I love so much I just need to share. Why not get yourself a gift and put it under your tree?

Here are my favorite things:

LLBean Vest

Not only is this thing the most cozy thing on earth to wear, it keeps me warm and looks good too. I don’t think I ever wore it anywhere where I didn’t get compliments on it. This is a must-have and I wish I had one in every color.

Columbia Socks

Socks have a bad rap. People like to make jokes about getting socks for gifts, as if they weren’t cool gifts to get. I personally love getting socks . It seems wearing bad socks (ones that make my feet too hot or too cold or worse . . . slouch down) can ruin my whole day. Having on super comfy socks, on the other hand, make my day. These Columbia socks just happen to be part of last year’s Christmas present and I adore them. Wish I could wear them every day.

Burts Bees Lip Balm


I think Burts Bees lip balm is a product that you either love or hate. I’m a lover. Not only is it the only balm that really works on moisturizing my lips, but it looks good on. When I’m really getting fancy and dressing up, I wear the tinted lip balm – the closest I get to real lipstick.

Keen Sandals

If I had a dollar for every pair of Keen sandals that I sold to complete strangers, I could retire. Since the day I slipped these things on my feet, I’ve been a die-hard fan. And our relationship got off to a very rocky start I may add. Karlo bought me my first pair of Keen sandals a couple of years ago. As usual my birthday gift had to come from EMS and when I opened them, I truly thought they were the ugliest things I ever laid eyes on. They looked like something Karlo should be wearing – not me. I returned them and Karlo sulked for a week. I couldn’t take his moping anymore so I went back and bought them back – this time with my own money no less. Well, that was the smartest decision ever. You have to wear them to understand. I now own 4 pair of Keen shoes. Nothing compares.

Charlie Brown Christmas CD


This will go down in history as my most treasured CD. If it wasn’t for Karlo complaining, I would listen to this year round. Every household MUST have this CD. If you don’t already own it, go out and get it NOW.

Acorn Fleece Mittens

I love cozy things. Maybe that’s why I moved to a road named “Kozey.” These are my favorite mittens. They are double fleece, which means there are actually two layers of fleece – soft, cuddly fleece. The Acorn brand are the only ones I found that are exceptionally nice.

Corelle Dishes

Another long time favorite of mine have always been Corelle dishes. They are super light, chip resistant and for the most part, unbreakable. Or maybe I should say “in most households” unbreakable. Karlo managed to break a few, but I think my father still has the same full set that my mother bought 30 years ago. Yes, I love my pretty hand-painted dishes and use them for dinner parties, but lugging them in and our of the cupboards and stressing out over them chipping is just plain no fun. To my delight I found brand new Corelle dishes called “Premium”. They are thicker than normal Corelle and they come in much prettier patterns than the normal line. Now I have form and function along with aesthetics. The perfect combination.

Lands End All-Weather Sneaker/Boots
Almost as good as the Keens, but not quite as spectacular, are my Lands End sneaker boots. They are water-proof and super comfy, but the best part is the bungee cord. No need to tie the laces. Love that! Oh and did a mention they were PINK? Yeah, I look silly, but I don’t run into many people in the woods out here. And maybe they will help me not get shot at. They are nearly as bright as the safety orange vests.

Manual Floor Sweeper (sorry no picture)

This one is a shocker to make my list, but I’m so happy with it and I can’t believe I never considered one of these in the past. Sometimes the simplest solutions are always the best. Perhaps we have over-engineered the whole process of vacuuming. We recently bought a very small and simple manual floor sweeper. No power, no cords, no batteries. You just push it and it sweeps up dog hair, dust and crumbs. What a concept. I love it.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

What is this "Manual Floor Sweeper"? Is that a fancy way to say "broom"?

Unknown said...

See, I needed the picture! It's the sort of thing you push along the floor and it picks up the debris and traps it. Then you empty it like you would a vacuum.