Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sad Realization

Yesterday I came to a very sad realization. Actually, it was Karlo that came to the conclusion and shared his theory with me. As usual, I hate it when Karlo is right, and this time I really think he is. Let me explain . . .

We were in Florida all last week and during that time I felt great every single day. I never got a headache or felt sinus pressure. I never got that nauseating feeling in my jaw that makes me think I’m going to throw up. These are the things that I suffer with quite regularly throughout my days. In fact, these symptoms got so bad in our house in Andover, that it was a very large motivator for me wanting to move. I was convinced that whatever happened to our house during that furnace malfunction, “puff back” soot episode was making me sick. I used to work from home on Mondays and that meant I was stuck in the house all day. Every single Monday I felt the exact same way – like I was going to keel over and die. Many days I just HAD to get out of the house and get some fresh air. It truly is a terrible feeling.

So moving to an “almost” new house that was untainted by soot problems seemed like a smart idea. When we moved in, we cleaned the whole place. There is no carpeting on the entire first floor and I knew that would be a big plus to my allergies. I was so looking forward to not feeling sick all the time.

Well, it didn’t work. It didn’t take me long to start having the exact same symptoms here. What is going on? Why is this happening? What am I allergic to?

We took yesterday off from work to catch up around the house. It wasn’t even noon before I started to feel sick. I decided I needed to get out of the house so a drive to the post office was in order. During that ride, Karlo and I talked about how great I felt in Florida and how sad I am to be back to feeling sick again. That was when he hit me with this theory and I can’t believe this never occurred to me before. The fact is that I’m . . . it’s hard for me to even write this . . . I’m allergic to my dogs!! My precious loveable dogs.

I went to see an allergist a few years back to get tested for my allergies. I got a prick test done on my back and the results reported that I was allergic to every single thing they tested me for. The doctor went on to tell me that my highest allergy was to dogs and cats. I was in such a state of denial that I didn’t listen to him and completely dismissed the whole test. I completely forgot about it until Karlo mentioned this new theory. That’s when my heart sank. I knew he was right.

I guess I am sentenced to many years of feeling terrible. If that’s the price I have to pay to be with my pooches, then that’s what I must do. I wish there was a magical pill out there somewhere to help me.

They look so innocent, don't they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before I got even half way through this blog I knew that it was the dogs. You could have been allergic your whole life but Boomer wasn't aloud in the house or you could have developed it in your "old age" adulthood. John has never had a problem with cats before but last month we went to visit my mom and she has 3 cats and after 20 minutes he started sneezing, itching all over and wheezing. I had to get him out of the house and he even needed to use his inhaler. I thought it might be a flook but it happened again last week. so no more visiting Gramma anymore. He had a similar reation at a friends house last week too, not even knowing they had cats until the father asked him if he was allergic to cats he said " oh yeah I guess I am" Try using an air purifier to see if that helps get rid of the dog dander because I know that is the only way you will survive a co existance with those doggies. It is really too bad your health will have to suffer to enjoy your babies!