Friday, December 21, 2007

Our Chirstmas Letter



Another year has passed so very quickly and so much has changed since my last Christmas letter. We started the New Year with much stress. We got an offer on our house in Andover in February, with a proposed closing date within 4 weeks. That might have been OK if we didn’t have a one week business trip in the middle. With the house inspections scheduled two weeks out and open house plans still in tack, we were torn between packing boxes and cleaning for the open house. March was one month that we don’t want to relive in this lifetime.

Somehow we managed to do our travelling to LA and pack the house up in two weeks. We were so crazed and rushed that I had very little emotions about the move. It wasn’t until my final walk-through, as the moving truck was waiting in the driveway, when it hit me . . . I was leaving my first home. The house that I built and poured so much of myself into. It was hard. Yes, I cried. But I knew we were moving on to bigger and better things.

The drive from Andover to my father’s house was particularly hard. Karlo drove his car with the dogs in the back and I drove my car, packed to the roof with the small amount of things that we would have with us for the next four months. I cried so hard, I could barely see the road.

We spent the next four months roughing it in Dad’s basement. Me, Karlo, and two big hairy, and sometimes smelly, dogs made a little 12x12 room in the basement our home. Not quite what I had in mind when I thought about us moving on to “bigger and better things.” But I have to say, I enjoyed spending all that time with Dad. Because of him, I was motivated to cook every night. I am proud to report that I have learned how to get by in the kitchen.

After 3 months of city life, Karlo and I were very eager to get away. Our long-awaited biking/sailing trip to Croatia finally arrived and it was bliss. Of all the places that I have visited around the world, I have to say that Croatia is among my favorites, if not THE favorite spot. It was definitely the vacation of a lifetime and it couldn’t have come at a better time. We went from roughing it in Hartford to glorious days, sailing the crystal blue waters of the Adriatic Sea and biking through the gorgeous islands. My birthday landed right in the middle of that trip and I truly cannot imagine a better way to spend my special day.

By the time we got back it just about time to move to our new home. We had waited long enough, as by now it was 9 months since we signed the sales contract and 3.5 months since we had the closing and became the new owners. The next 3 months were very busy. We worked non-stop turning our house into a home. I never really appreciated the magnitude of a move, but now I do. It’s a lot of work! It took us months to unpack and complete all the home improvement projects that I had lined up. All in all, I think we did a good job.

We did take one little break in September to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. I still can’t believe it’s already been 5 years! We took an overnight motorcycle trip up to the Berkshires and had a fantastic time.

We couldn’t be happier in our new place in the woods. We not only have a new house, but a new lifestyle. We adapted very quickly to the rural life. I very rarely complain about the longer commute to everything. We simply cannot leave our house and travel in any direction without a truly beautiful ride. So far we have experienced three seasons and each seems to be more magnificent than the previous. I look forward to many years in our new “HOME.”

From our happy home to yours, we wish you the very best for the coming year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Love

Paula & Karlo
Bentley & Peanut too

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it has been a pleasure reading
about all you both have done this past year. it always makes me smile or laugh out loud. a very merry christmas and wonderful new year to you both.