Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Sad Day

I am leaving shortly to attend a funeral. I can’t think of many things in life that I dread more than that. In my lifetime I have already attended more than my fair share of funerals. I guess that is the price you pay for coming from a big family.

Luckily today’s funeral is not a family member. Well, not MY family member, but of course, there will be plenty of people there mourning the loss of their father, brother, uncle, husband, etc. Such a sad occasion. I don’t want to go!

This man was the father-in-law of the owner of the company I work for. I actually had a close relationship with him. Many of you may remember some of the paintings we have at home . . . one of the warehouse in Old Wethersfield, one winter boat scene with my name on the hull, another nautical scene, and my favorite . . . Nathan Hale in honor of our wedding anniversary. These were all done, especially for me, by Bill McKee.

Isn’t it funny how we appreciate artwork of dead artists more than we did when they were alive? Why is that? I haven’t walked by these paintings and really thought of Bill in ages. But from now on, when I see them, I will always think back to Bill. His memory will forever live in his paintings. He has certainly left behind lots to remember him by. Gone, but not forgotten.

1 comment:

lgaumond said...

Just like Cinderella said (the band, not the Disne character), you don't know what'cha got till it's gone. I'm sorry for your loss.