Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Foot Frustrations


I am so fed up with my feet! Buying shoes has always been an agonizing ordeal where I usually end up in tears. I HATE buying shoes. It’s worse than shopping for a bathing suit. But I needed some comfortable and cute black shoes that I can wear when I work trade shows. How hard should it be to find flat black shoes that fit me? Well, the answer is impossible.

Last month I set out to find these shoes. Shopping for clothes is a very rare occasion these days and I really need to justify every purchase. I found some shoes at Kohls that weren’t too expensive and were really nice. I think I loved them. They were perfect. I tried on an 8.5 (which would be my size of choice in shoes that I wear with socks) but they were way too big. I tried an 8 and those seemed better, but I still walked completely out of them with every step. OK, so next I tried a 7.5, but those were too tight up around the ball of my foot. Uuugh, so much for those nice shoes.

The hunt continued and I found my Plan B shoes. Not my favorite, but still kind of cute and more importantly – very comfy. I went through the same trying on process and these 8s seemed to be better. I didn’t walk out of them . . . at least not in the store. Today is my second day wearing them and guess what? The leather must have stretched ever so slightly and now my heel comes right out of them. Is there no hope for me? Are my heels to skinny for normal shoes? I refuse to go to Footprints and spend a fortune on a pair of shoes. I just want to go to normal stores and buy normal shoes. Does there exist some kind of contraption that goes into the heel of the shoe to fill the gap? Or maybe some special heel plumping socks? Hmmmm, maybe I’m on to something here. Sounds like I have a new invention. Shhhhhhhhh, don’t tell anybody.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

You have to suck it up and accept that you have narrow feet and you have to pay more for narrow shoes sometimes. Look, six pages of narrow flats/semi-flats on Zappos: http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722000224/heel_height/1/size/7/width/5/page/1.html
You can also get the no-slip stick-on pads that you generally put in high heels to keep your foot from sliding down and put them in your flats to keep your feet from being jammed down into the toe area of your stretched-out shoes. Or you can take them to a cobbler. Or wear slippers everyday of your life. I'd prefer that one.

Anonymous said...

a shoemaker usually sells a small
pad you can adhere to the inside of
the heel of your shoe. i used them
for the kids a few yrs ago.very
inexpensive.