Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Paula’s Picks From Oprah’s Favorites

Yesterday was the big annual “Oprah’s Favorite Things” show. I usually watch it every year and every year it just depresses me. I get the feeling that Oprah is just flaunting the fact that she’s stinkin’ rich and she recommends insanely expensive gifts that nobody could actually give. How does that help the normal people of the world?

Well, yesterday’s show seemed to be much more down to earth. She had many affordable items and a good mix across the board. I have to say, the show is easier to watch than HGTV’s “I Want That.” That darn show is dangerous. No matter what the topic, I want every single thing they show. They really do introduce you to some unique and handy gadgets. But Oprah’s list was almost ho-hum (to me, anyway). She included some cleaning products (yuck), some bathing products (better, but way too expensive), some ridiculous looking and over-priced clothes, a book, a CD, a DVD set, food and some appliances. Nothing made me jump out of my seat.

After all is said and done, I picked my three favorites from Oprah’s List and one will certainly surprise you . . . its a cooking gadget (shhhh, don’t tell anyone). Here they are:


A set of mixing bowls from Williams Sonoma. Lisa introduced me to my very first mixing bowl and I honestly don’t know how I got along without one. Brilliant invention.


A skin care system that is supposed to remove 6 times more make-up than regular washing. Just the thought of all that excess make-up staying on my face makes me cringe.


The Planet Earth DVD set. Now this just seems really cool. I love this stuff. Oprah said that everybody on the planet Earth should own one. Imagine how rich that would make somebody?

One of these days, I’ll come up with my own “Paula’s Favorite Things” list. Stay tuned for that.

No comments: