Friday, November 30, 2007

I Just Don't Get It


Today was a slow day for me. I think my brain is not working on overtime like it normally is. As a result, I couldn't think of anything to blog about. But I went out for lunch and heard more yapping on the radio about the stupid controversy about Madonna and her color-dyed sheep. This just kills me. Apparently the animal rights activists are all up in arms because of the potential to harm the sheep. Madonna swears that she did it in a non-hurtful way and the animals were not harmed at all. I guess this was not good enough for the animal rights folks so they responded with the notion that Madonna is setting a bad example and other people will now start dying their sheep in hurtful ways.

Now I have a few problems with this. The first being . . . How many people do you know that actually OWN sheep? I happen to know a couple that own sheep, but what were the chances of that? These people that I know keep sheep for pets and I can not think of one good reason that they would want to go through all the trouble of figuring out how to dye them. I am assuming that MOST people that own sheep are farmers of some sort and they probably own sheep for their wool - a business for the farmer. Why on EARTH would THEY want to dye their sheep? WHO exactly is going to try to dye sheep if it's not for a publicity stunt?

My second problem with this whole thing is . . . Don't these people have anything better to do than worry about the potential of a sheep being turned a different color with food coloring? Aren't there bigger problems in this world? Give me a break.

I love animals just as much as the next person, but personally I'm much more worried that innocent, intelligent, marvelous greyhounds will get a bullet to the head when they reach the end of their racing careers. If somebody wants to dye them pink, who cares. Just don't kill them!

And my last thought on this whole topic is very simple . . . Does NOBODY on Madonna's staff know how to use Photoshop? The photo above is the actual sheep from Madonna's campaign. Here's a picture I grabbed off of Google:


And after approximately 1 minute of Photoshop work here is the same picture:


People, get with the program. It's no longer necessary to dye animals a different color in reality when there is a whole beautiful virtual world out there!

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

I have no patience for ridiculous, outrageous organizations like this.
I understand that they were trying to recreate a historic shot, and you're right, they could have just as easily used Photoshop to color the sheep, but honestly. What's the big friggin deal if they have colored wool for a short while? The RSPCA is all up in arms about the color of their wool? What if these sheep are being kept to eventually be eaten? Are they now going to stop them from slaughtering the sheep because that's cruel, too. Ridiculous. And besides, I dye my hair all the time and DCF hasn't come out to tell my mom how irresponsible it is that I'm changing the color of my hair. What's the difference?

Anonymous said...

I am more worried about the poor dinosaours . . . we waited for them to rot so we can fill our cars up and poison our World by burning them.
We stop this practice and start walking. Hmm . . . how was that pink color made?
Let's all fly on private jets to some exotic place and talk about how can we save the World.