Friday, November 16, 2007

Random Reflections From Boston

After not blogging for the past three days, I have all sorts of random reflections filling the space between my ears. Being away from home, in a place very different from home, with not much to do, gave me all kinds of time to ponder. In no particular order of important, I’m going to let my brain lose on you. Here goes:

* First of all, I need to really appreciate the fact that I don’t have to deal with traffic in my normal every day life. I know I moaned and whined a bit about doubling my work commute and having to drive much further to get to stores. But holy CRAP – if I had to drive in city traffic every day to get to work, I would shoot myself. Well, maybe not shoot myself, but for sure quit my job and be a bum. Anything would be better than fighting city traffic day in and day out. It was torture. It took me 2.5 hours to get to Boston (which, by the way is only 71 miles from home). The last 28 miles were bumper to bumper, stop and go, mostly in 1st and 2nd gear. Not fun wearing high heeled boots and driving a stick shift. My ankle was killing me by the time I arrived.

* The magic of 40 really does exist. Now I’m not there yet, but I can already see the effects. I still don’t need glasses. I can see fine far away and I can also see fine close up. But what I realized this week is that it’s hard for me to go from one to the other after being fixed at one distance for a long time. For instance, I would look at my book during the breaks for 10 minutes and then when it was time to look back up at the screen . . .well, it took me a few minutes to focus. Sucks. I don’t like it!

* I look like I live in Eastford, CT and that just depresses me. As I was packing for my little trip, I stood in my closet completely frustrated. I don’t have any clothes appropriate for strolling the streets of Boston. Now if I had to pack for a hiking or camping trip, I’m all set. I would be the best dressed camper in the park. But I can not compete with the stylish chicks in the city. Walking around Boston was so depressing. Everyone looks so hip and chic. I decided that I needed something new to make myself feel better. I found a little mall and low and behold, my favorite store (Ann Taylor Loft). I had no problem finding lots of things I loved in there, but then the even more depressing part of shopping in the city came in to play – the prices. Gadzooks. How can I spend that much money on clothes right now? I can’t. So sad. I think I need a shopping trip, with my fashion consultant Tina, to that Steve & Barry's store.

* And this leads me to my next random shopping thought. What is up with the sizing today? I hate it. I have lots of clothes from the Loft and why is it that what used to fit me last year no longer fits me this year? I have not changed in size one inch. I went so far as to bring some clothes into the changing room. Maybe just putting them on will make me feel better . . . well, that didn’t work. It just frustrated me. Is it so difficult to make consistent sizing? I even asked the sales girl why my size doesn’t fit me. She launched into her lesson on all the different names of the various styles. You see, there are different lines all named by woman’s names. For instance Ann, Julie, Marisa, Shari, etc. Every name has a different cut. That’s all fine and dandy, but shouldn’t all the names in one size fit? The sales person told me that perhaps I need to try some different name because they have a slimmer cut. Who has the patience for that? Shouldn’t shopping be easier than this? Do I need to shop with a reference card to assist me picking out something that will fit? Ridiculous. Well, that made not spending lots of money easy. Nothing fit so I bought nothing.

* And my last piece of random thought is that it’s very frustrating to me to be so lost in my own backyard. I got lost getting home last night! Can you imagine . . . I navigated my way in and out of the big intimidating city and got lost 9 miles from home. I only got off highway coming from the East one other time (in broad day light) and last night it was pitch dark and raining and I got completely disoriented. There’s no place to pull over and ask for directions. There are no landmarks other than trees, trees and more trees. Yes, we have a GPS sitting safely at home! I can’t wait until I’m more familiar with home!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome home...i was watching oprah
the other day w/fashon experts and one bit of advice they gave was to forget about the # on the article of clothing and go for fit and comfort. the explaination the woman at the store gave you is correct. european sizing is even
worse. i fit into an XL but it all has to do w/how it is cut. i dont
care that it says XL but i know
that i look damn good in that top!!

lgaumond said...

Welcome home!

Unknown said...

That advice is good, however how do you know what to bring into the dressing room? It would just be easier to shop in our underwear and try things on right at the rack!