Monday, July 13, 2009

A Crafty Sunday

We had no plans yesterday and the day was just great knowing that I could do (or not do) whatever I wanted. No agenda, no chores . . . well, I had plenty of chores and one big dirty house, but no compelling reason that things had to get done. We were just going to take the day as it came and do whatever struck us. Heaven, as far as I was concerned.

Karlo started his day working on the shack. I know, I know, I claimed that it was done last week and, as far as I knew, it was. But I forgot about the big ditch in front of the door that you had to remember to step over to get in. I knew Karlo planned to build a little platform (a deck of sorts) some day and that some day was Sunday. Then I happened to mention that we should put up a window box with flowers in it . . . some day. Well, there is no suggesting an idea to Karlo that we should so someday. The minute the idea materializes he’s in the basement looking for materials. Consider it done! So now the shack has a little deck and a freshly painted window box. No pictures yet because I need to find some flowers to make it all pretty before the big unveil. Stay tuned.

And while Karlo was outside being ridiculously productive I was inside being ridiculously unproductive. Not that I was laying on the couch. I was busy working hard. I just don’t have much to show for all my efforts. I bought some new jewelry craft books a few weeks ago and had my nose buried in them every night. I’ve been reading and studying, planning and shopping for supplies . . . all in preparation for my new line of jewelry art. I had big plans, but most of my efforts were a frustrating disaster. Never fails. Things always look so much easier in a book. Sort of like recipes! Unfortunately I ended up with more failed projects than successful projects. I’m not going to show you the total flops, but here’s a couple of prototypes pieces (to be used in some sort of fashion, except for the earrings - those are done) that weren’t a disaster. More to come . .

Luckily I spent all this time indoors while it was gray and cloudy outside. Karlo finished his projects just as the sun came out and we decided to have a leisurely lunch on the deck and nice kayak ride at Mansfield Hollow. I took my camera this time . . . which meant that nothing exciting happened. I did catch a blue heron in flight and a RC boat flying across the water, but they are not worth sharing.

Later in the day we took our motorcycles out for a ride. We decided to ride our new bicycle loop to clock the distance. How sad is it that two avid cyclists don't have working bike computers on our bikes to record mileage? As we were riding I was trying to figure out which ride I was enjoying more . . . pedaling my bike the day before or cruising along on my motorcycle. No sooner did I ponder this thought and the answer became clear. My darn bike died. Kaput. Karlo never leaves home without the battery charger to jump my bike for times like these, but this time it was really dead. We had to resort to pushing the bike to force start it. This operation always scares me and I refuse to be the one on the bike. I would rather be the idiot running (in full gear) pushing the bike. Do you know how much fun it is to run in 10 lb boots, jeans, and a big heavy jacket . . . in July? Not much fun. Stupid bike. No question which bike is my true love.

No comments: