Monday, July 27, 2009

Gawk Fest



We managed to squeak out a dry weekend, despite the promises of rain yesterday. And it was a good thing since we spent an awful lot of time on 2 wheels. On Saturday we drove to a motorcycle dealer in RI. Karlo has been itching to go and check out some new Moto Guzzis and since this dealership was so close to Newport we made a day of it. I wanted to get out to take pictures of “Words” for my photo blog and now that I think of it, the words “Moto Guzzi” would have made for some slick photos. Ooops. There went a missed opportunity.

So we gawked at the bikes for a while. Karlo sat on and admired the Moto Guzzi Stelvio while I drooled over the BMW 650 GS. Karlo walked away from the dealership more in love with his own bike (thank goodness – that saved a lot of money) and I walked away hating my own bike. Where is the justice there? Not only do I now think my bike is ugly, but I wasn’t too thrilled to hear that the part I needed was over $125.

From there we rode on to Newport, which will always hold a special place in my heart. I love Newport. We strolled around (in our very hot motorcycle boots) all afternoon, shopping in the cute shops and taking pictures of ‘words.’ We enjoyed a terrific lunch on the pier and then took a little spin around the parts of Newport that I’ve never seen before. We headed away from the hustle and bustle of downtown and rode along the shore on the East side of the city. Holy cow, talk about a gawk fest. The homes on the water were out of this world. I still can’t believe how beautiful they were. What do people do to make that much money? It’s crazy. But I really enjoyed admiring them all. Sorry, no pictures of the houses. I didn’t want to get arrested.

No comments: