Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th Weekend Extravaganza (Part 1)

This long weekend has been so jam packed with events that it’s going to take multiple blog posts to document it. So here is Part 1 of blissful weekend . . .

Karlo and I were originally planning to go away (to the White Mountains of New Hampshire) for the long holiday weekend. We waffled back and forth for a week debating on if we should stay or if we should go. First weather was a factor, than money was a factor, but when it came right down to Karlo’s question of, “What do you really want to do for your birthday?” my answer was simple. I wanted to take pictures. And I also wanted to do something that we’ve always wanted to do and never really did . . . take a vacation at home. To us, it really is hard to leave home and find a place better than this. We live in what we consider paradise. So my wish finally came true.

I started Friday morning with a picture taking project . . . my new birthday roses and my new (well, not really mine, but in my possession) macro lens.

From there things didn't exactly go as planned. First we went for a very nice bicycle ride and that was perfect. But our next event was to be kayaking and that’s when things got a little shaky (and scary). We were headed up to MA when Karlo went to slow down to make a sharp turn and discovered that the brake line went on the Jeep. Yikes! We practically had no brakes; just like that. Very scary. So much for kayaking and now we had to get the Jeep home. These last couple of weeks have been very religious for me; lots and lots of praying for our safety. And now the thought of not spending money on a hotel room is becoming a much better idea. Looks like Paula was getting new Jeep brakes for her birthday. Yeah!

Friday night we went to see some fireworks in Killingly with some “Eastford friends.” We love these fireworks because it’s easy in and easy out without the usual fireworks crowds. We really enjoyed what turned out to be a perfect fireworks evening.


I woke up on the 4th to presents in the bed. And I’m happy to report that Karlo did a complete 180 from his typical gift buying. In addition to my requested Pandora bead, he bought me non-technical, highly fashionable “Tina clothes.” Way to go Karlo :-)

We headed down to Mystic on the motorcycle for a day of sightseeing and picture taking. OK, we shopped a little too, but just a little. I had to buy this scarf because I was cold. Yes, cold.

We had a seafood lunch by the water.

And then strolled around Old Mistick Village (Yes, that’s the way they spell it.)

Click here to view more pictures from Mystic. And stay tuned for Part 2 of Saturday . . . and then the rest of the long weekend.

3 comments:

michelled said...

Well happy belated birthday!! Fun holiday to have with your special day. Can't wait to hear Part II!!

lgaumond said...

That sounds like a perfect weekend so far! (Well, except for the near death, no breaks thing.) I can't wait to hear perfect weekend part II either!

Penni said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! We spent the entire weekend in Haddam and then i worked yesterday so this is the first opportunity I have to wish you a Happy Birthday. I can't wait to hear the rest of your weekend too.