Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 4th Weekend Recap (Part 2)

Where did I leave off? Oh yes, we strolled the village in Mystic so I could take pictures. Then we took a very nice scenic motorcycle ride home so we could get ready to head up to Sturbridge for more picture taking. I found a 4th of July celebration at the Old Sturbridge Village and I thought it was the perfect combination of fireworks and picture taking opportunities. I’ve (we’ve) never actually be into the Village before and this event got us in for half the normal admission price so I couldn’t resist.

We drove up and had a nice fish dinner in Sturbridge (which by the way I now love with all its cute shops. Sturbridge makes you feel like you’re on vacation). Then we headed over to the Village. We got there just before the sun went down and I had a ball running around taking pictures. They had all sorts of activities going on and there were people everywhere. It’s amazing that I captured some nice photos minus the crowds.


The only bad part of this scene was the fact that I was wearing cute, high heeled flip flops that killed my foot. Karlo rode me hard for my shoe choice, but I wanted to look cute for dinner. Yes, it was a stupid decision and I still have a very sore hole in the top of my right foot. Based on this situation and the fact that we would not be able to run back to the parking lot to escape the crowds and traffic jam, we weighed the coolness of seeing the fireworks against the aggravation of the traffic and decided to bail out early. We saw really nice fireworks the night before and it was such a pleasant experience that we decided to end on a happy note. It worked out great too. We took a new scenic route home and I captured a few more photos of the sunset (because that is really all I wanted for my birthday – to take photos).


As we were driving home Karlo said, “Won’t there be fireworks on TV?” and I was so excited that I hadn’t thought of that myself. We got home in just enough time for me to blow out my candles, cut the cake, and get on the couch as the first fireworks in NYC went off. We sat with our hounds in the comfort of our own home and watched spectacular fireworks on TV. I was quite content and glad we bailed early. (Yeah, I guess I am officially old.)


Can you believe that Sunday was another spectacular weather day? What amazing luck. We struggled with the decision of going biking or doing more work on the ‘shack’. Biking won and we started off the morning with another beautiful bike ride through Eastford and Woodstock.

Lisa’s not going to like this part, but we came home and did end up working on the shack. We only put a couple of hours into and it is officially DONE. That was the greatest feeling and I’m so glad we did it. The total sense of accomplishment was super sweet. Side note: I'm glad I asked for votes because I was completely prepared to paint the door black (Tina and I had the same vision), but since 3 folks said white and that meant less work, I was all over it. Thanks for your input those who voted.


Then it was time to shower and head out for our next big adventure. We had dinner at my now favorite restaurant – the 99 something or other. Good grief, I forgot the name! Old age must be setting in. Loved the menu and they have yummy virgin Mojitos. Can’t wait to go back. Here's a picture of me in front of the restaurant. This is for Tina because I know she will be proud of me wearing the shirt that she encouraged me to buy. The capris and the movie star glasses courtesy of Karlo.

After dinner we headed to Foxwoods MGM Grand Theater for an awesome show. I highly recommend you check it out. Here’s the link http://www.mgmatfoxwoods.com/illuminationbycirque.aspx The show runs for at least 2-3 weeks. The perfect family entertainment. It was GREAT. And this was a good dry run for STING in two weeks!!!!

Looks like my weekend report will need three blog postings! Phew this is exhuasting. Stay tuned. To see more pictures from Sturbridge, please click here.

4 comments:

michelled said...

Great pics at OSV. Bet you found some good door pictures too! I haven't come up with anything yet.

I'm also incredibly impressed with the shed/shack. You may have said this before, but what are you going to use it for? It's awesome!

lgaumond said...

I forgive you for working on the shack during your birthday weekend since you worked so hard at actually relaxing and enjoying yourself the rest of the time.

Beautiful pictures! I've never been to OSV, now I really want to take a ride up there. Did you find Sadie Green's while you were in Sturbridge?

Unknown said...

Michelle, not totally sure what the shack is going to be just yet. But it may include the following:

- wildlife viewing room for taking photos
- yoga studio
- dance practice studio
- art gallery

Lisa, I didn't fine Sadie Green's and I sort of forgot was it is . . . Tell me again. And YOU, loving Sturbridge so much, going every year, and you've never been to OSV. How is that possible??

tina said...

love the top!!!