Monday, April 9, 2007

The Highlight of My Easter

The eggs are just the props to showcase that heavenly Italian cupcake! Penni just told me the name and I'm still not sure what it is. Something like "Casada." These cupcakes have been a Romano Easter tradition for many generations. My grandmother used to pump out (probably) hundreds of these things every year. I know it took my brother a few years just to scientifically reduce Grandma's recipe down from feeding a small army to a reasonable amount. I think the original recipe started off something like . . . 3 pounds of sugar, 5 pounds of ricotta . . . you get the picture.

So my wonderful brother has carried on the tradition. He learned how to make them from our grandmother. (Not sure where I was during all this baking, but thank God he learned.) To my sheer delight, my brother's family came over yesterday morning with the beloved cupcakes in their hands. What a treat. They only come once a year, but are so worth the wait. I'm wondering if any of my fellow Italian buddies know what they are. I'm thinking they are a Sicilian item because our grandparents were from Sicily and the only other people that Penni found that make the same things are also from Sicily. Little pieces of heaven.

And the not so pretty eggs were done by me! Certainly not my best Easter effort, but they still taste good.

Happy belated Easter to all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy belated easter to you too.i
have also eaten those same ricotta
"muffins" as i call them. i dont know what town in sicily they originate. they are heavenly and it
has been many many years since i
have had one because the person we
knew that always made them moved
back to a region of sicily i cant
spell but i can prononounce it.
looks like angelo did a great job.

Unknown said...

ah ha, I knew my fellow "guidettes" could appreciate :-)

Anonymous said...

You will be happy to know that the tradition will continue even after We are gone because John absolutely LOVES these cupcakes and can't wait for Easter every year and has learned how to make them himself ( Nicole almost has it down.. the rolling of the dough and delicate mixture of water flour and sugar to make the dough since it is never the same every time) John has even made them for school when he needs to bring in something ethnic . He can now make them by himself and I am sure he will continue the tradition for his family too