Thursday, April 12, 2007

Just Shoot Me

You probably think that title refers to my inability to adjust to life in Hartford . . . but it doesn’t. So far, I’m doing OK. Last night Karlo and I put together the new desk that Dad sprung for. He desperately needed one and the excuse of buying it for me was perfect. Now I get to use it for 4 months and then after we move out, Dad gets a nice new desk. Works out great. So my rickety “card table office” has officially been upgraded to a real desk in the corner. Photos to follow (some day).

I titled this “just shoot me” because of my excitement over my latest purchase. I know nobody is going to believe this one . . . but I was excited about buying a vacuum cleaner. Can you even imagine??? Have I lost my mind?

Buying a vacuum was a big deal for me. I never really owned one. At my condo I used to get on my hands and knees and use a hand held contraption, one step up from a DustBuster. In Andover, I always had central vac so I’m really clueless when it comes to vacuums. Karlo and I went to Lowes (or was it Home Depot? That’s a whole ‘nother story to share some day) and we ‘test drove’ some. I was appalled at how heavy they were. Yes, I have skinny arms and yes, I’m spoiled with the central vac, but my goodness – do they have to be so heavy?
I recently saw a commercial for a Sears canister vacuum. Everything on the commercial sucked me right in. (pun intended). I loved it. They even showed a dog laying on the floor while the woman was vacuuming and explained how quiet it was. Another pet peeve of vacuuming. Why do they have to be so darn loud? So I went to Sears and looked. Now I loved it even more because it was red. But I really shouldn’t buy a vacuum based on color and I don’t know enough about them. So I went onto Consumers Reports' and don’t you know, my favorite pick turned out to be Consumer Reports favorite pick too. I got so excited, I ran out to Sears yesterday and bought it. I couldn’t wait! Of course Dad pointed out that it was stupid to buy it so soon when I have no place to put it until July. That’s how excited I was. I had to have it NOW. I know what you are thinking . . . Who is writing this? And what have they done to Paula? And just for the record, I cooked dinner every night since we moved to Hartford.

4 comments:

lgaumond said...

What has happened to you? Some domestic flu or something? Next thing you know you'll be asking for a Kithen Aid mixer for your birthday.

Anonymous said...

I KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH THE VACUUM UNTIL JULY.... COME ON OVER TO OUR HOUSE AND "TRY IT OUT" ONCE A WEEK OR SO. I HAVE PLENTY OF DOG HAIR FOR YOU TO VACUUM UP AND THAT WAY YOU WILL KNOW HOW IT WILL WORK IN YOUR NEW HOUSE IN RESPECTS TO GETTING RID OF DOG HAIR... JUST A SUGGESTION.

Unknown said...

OK girls, let's not get too crazy here. You are going to scare me right back to domestication phobia.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what's wrong with a Kitchen Aid mixer. That's all I really wanted when I got married. It's the best thing ever!