Friday, April 13, 2007

Our Latest Addition


I forgot to mention last week that we sold our truck and replaced it with a much more fuel efficient VW Golf. Karlo and I have been tossing around all sorts of alternate vehicle ideas. We knew it was time to let go of the very thirsty Montero. It served us well and came in very handy during the move. But the fact that we are moving further away (from everything) and will need to drive many more miles, we thought it best to make the switch.

At first we were going to get a Toyota Yaris. We test drove one and even convinced our friend Lisa to buy one! The car was very cute and we liked it a lot. But the 2 doors and very short roof meant that I either needed to upgrade to a full size wagon or we needed an old beater truck in addition to the new Yaris. Did that make sense? Do we really need 3 vehicles . . . 2 motorcycles, 3 kayaks, 6 bikes . . . too much stuff!! So we went back to the drawing board and came up with this Golf as the all around best idea. 4 doors (big plus), tall cargo area for our tall dogs, longer roof line to accommodate a kayak or bikes and the best part . . . it’s a TDI diesel that gets 45 miles to the gallon and 500 miles per tank! Oh baby!!! We also got a hitch for my 2.5 liter (lots of power) all-wheel drive car so when we make our inevitable Home Depot runs, we can use our small utility trailer, rather than a truck. I’m very proud of Karlo for coming up with this grand (and very logical) plan.

So given all those positives, I didn’t complain too much having to spend last evening at the DMV. It really wasn’t that bad. I took my mp3 player, a magazine and a Sudoku game. I even got a phone call and got to chat for a while. Before I knew it, we were out of there (and sitting in traffic on 91) – that was the worst part. Every time Karlo and I leave the house these days and drive around the greater Hartford area, we get more and more ready to move to seclusion.

3 comments:

lgaumond said...

She's so cute! What are you going to oname her?

Anonymous said...

Julcsa.

Unknown said...

In case anybody is wondering . . . that is pronouced like "you'll-cha" and I thought that was MY nickname. Karlo always calls me that, but I complained after I found out that it was a typical nickname for a Hungarian cow! Hello, he's calling me a cow??? So he's basically calling his new car "Bessie."