Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Nephew the Musician



Check out my nephew John. He’s taking after his father and his grandfather with his musical talents. John plays in both the school marching band and the jazz band and get this . . . he plays two different instruments: the trumpet and the bass. Oh and actually he also plays the guitar too (not in the band, but at home). He takes lessons for the bass and the trumpet, but he taught himself how to play the guitar. Now if that doesn’t sound like his grandfather, I don’t know what does.

On Sunday we went to a special band dinner where we got to see the jazz band perform. John went back and fourth between playing the trumpet and the bass. And the coolest part about the photo above of him playing the bass . . . That is the same bass that I used to play when I was his age. Imagine that? John has his own nice bass at home, but of course he thinks Grandpa’s “retro” bass is cooler. Yes, the bass that I used to play is now retro. Sigh. I wonder if I could still remember any of those Police tunes that I used to bust out. I wish I still played an instrument. My nephew (and niece too – she plays the piano) are inspiring me to learn again. I should take advantage of living with Dad and get some free lessons while I can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that Nicole plays the clarinet in the elementary school band so she is a duel musician like her brother and just like Grampa plays the clarinet!

Jamie said...

wow, has it been that long since i've seen Penni and Angelo's kids????

also, what kind of bass is that? MAN how come he gets a cool "retro" bass and I got one of these crappy new ones?!!?