Thursday, April 8, 2010

Not a Fan of Texas

I may be jumping to conclusions and being too hasty in my judgment, but so far I can honestly say . . . I don't like Texas. Now granted, Texas is a really big state and I've only seen a fraction so maybe I should rename this blog title to, "Not a Fan of Houston." I can see no reason in the world why I would ever want to come back here. If I ever come to Texas again, I hope it's to Austin as I hear that place rocks.

My biggest problem with Houston, so far, has been the eating challenges. My exact words yesterday afternoon were, "I've never been anywhere where I didn't find something on the menu that I liked." Well, I was wrong. I'm really not a picky eater. I'm just a healthy eater and that seems to be impossible in some of these 'southern home-style' restaurants. I've spent weeks in Asia and nothing there repulsed me nearly as much as the food I came into contact with yesterday. It all started at lunch with this order of fried okra. What the hell is okra anyway?

Seems like people love to fry everything down here. I wanted some fish, but every single fish on the menu started with the word "cat" and I don't ever want to see that word on my menu. So at dinner time I thought I found my perfect dish. I ordered a turkey club on whole wheat bread. Doesn't that sound healthy? I was so excited. Well, when it arrived I picked it up (to pluck off the pound of bacon) and my hands were soaked with butter. I swear there was one stick of butter saturated into each piece of bread. Disgusting. The best part of dinner was looking at the painted cows inside the restaurant.

It wasn't until this afternoon when I encountered the coolest food item that I don't think we have at home. At least I never saw them. How cute are these watermelons? I considered shoving a couple into my suitcase.

I'm here for work, mostly to film some customers in their shops. Yesterday was neat. We spent the day at a monster truck shop. And today we sort of played at the pits of a big race that will go on this weekend. I never really got anywhere near a race track, but I have to admit that it was cool to see all the pro stock and funny cars and hang out with the crews in the pits.

Houston, we have a problem . . . Paula is hungry! I've been promised a non-southern dinner tonight and I do look forward to that. Signing off from Texas . . .

No comments: