Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Scale is Tipping

Is it bad that the amount of people that I like in this world is being outweighed by the amount of people that I don’t like? That probably is indeed bad, but I think it’s the sad truth. Maybe I’m just overly sensitive and irritated by many people these days. Maybe I just need a break from all the work and stress of my life. Seems no matter how much and how hard I work, it’s never enough and I’m reaching the breaking point. I need a vacation from life. And holy cow, I don’t even want to touch that subject right now . . . talk about stress. New topic.

So in an attempt to move from anger to happiness I made a list of things that I enjoy–my Fun List. This whole ‘fun’ thing has been a real struggle for me. Our New Year’s resolution for 2010 was to have more fun in our lives and I gotta say, we are failing miserably. I’ve come to the conclusion that Karlo and I just don’t know how to stop working long enough to have any fun. I thought I would make this little list and try to dedicate 30 minutes a day to doing something that I really enjoy, something that I consider fun.

Yesterday I opened up a little notebook on my desk and started my list:

Fun Things To Do:
  • Playing Wii games
  • Taking pictures
  • Playing with digital pictures
  • Scrapbooking
  • Making my ‘Happiness collages’
  • Writing
  • Making glass jewelry
  • Dancing
  • Shopping
  • Taking leisurely walks with my mp3 player
  • Riding my motorcycle
I went back to work and then opened my notebook an hour later to see if I could add to the list. That is when it hit me. I didn’t list “Riding my BICYCLE.” What is up with that? I love biking. That is what I do. It’s my passion, my sport of choice! When did it become not fun? I need to reinvent the good old bicycle ride. The one you do ‘just for fun” where you don’t have to get suited up in spandex, gloves, funny shoes, and a heart rate monitor. I want to remember what it’s like to just jump on a bike and pedal without worrying about speed or attacking the next hill. My goal is to have at least one ‘fun’ ride this season.

And I went home last night, with my new list in my hand and managed to accomplish NONE of those fun things to do. Instead I figured out how to pay 3 years of delinquent business taxes, worked out for an hour, continued building my new shopping cart and web site, and finished a little freelance job. Yeah, THAT was fun–not! I need help.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

Oh Paula...

tina said...

thanks for making me think about what i do for myself that makes me happy...pilates.